Photos

DavyLad 15:45 06 Jul 2008

I have been trying to send some zipped photos. I have used Hotmail, Tiscali and Outlook Express, but it seems to take forever. Does anyone know of a quicker method?

David

Pineman100 16:20 06 Jul 2008

I presume these photos are email attachments?

The speed at which an image will upload (and download) is dependent upon two things: the size of the image file and the speed of your internet connection.

You say that you have "zipped" the photos, but you don't make clear what method of compression you have used. The actual physical size of the photo before you compress it is also important.

The most widely used image compression format is JPEG, and provided you're using a fairly competent image editing package, you should be offered a choice as to the degree of compression you want to apply.

What do you want the recipient of the photos to be able to do? Will they just look at them on their computer screen, or do you want them to able to produce high quality prints from them?

If the former, then you can send quite small, well compressed pictures.

If the latter, then you'll need to be patient and upload them as quite big files. In this case, it will also help if you know how large their intended prints will be.

As you can see, this is quite a complicated subject, so if you can post some more details about the ultimate intentions of the photo recipient, it will be easier for people to give you specific recommendations.

interzone55 16:29 06 Jul 2008

Most people don't realise that Zipping a JPEG can often make the filesize slightly bigger.

There's also the fact that photos from most of todays digital cameras are well over a megabyte in size.

Best to do as Pineman100 says and edit them before sending.

If you don't have access to something like Photoshop there may be a basic package included with your camera, or for simple cropping & resizing duties you only need a utility like IrfanView, which apart from being a fantastic little program is also totally free click here

One very important point: Most email providors will not forward an email that is more than 10mb in size, some will do 20mb but it's best to stick to 10mb in case the recipient's providor has a 10mb cap. If you are sending multiple photographs attach them to separate messages.

Finally, if sending the photos is taking ages, and they need to be good quality, why not burn them to a CD and post them?

Pineman100 16:37 06 Jul 2008

It occurs to me to mention that there's a useful little bit of freeware called Shrink Pic (click here), which will automatically compress image files to a level pre-chosen by you, for emailing.

Bear in mind, though, that the recipient won't be able to produce large and/or high quality prints from your compressed files.

Bagsey 16:39 06 Jul 2008

Another way of showing photos to friends and relatives who live overseas is to set up a web site (using one of the free sites, eg. MSN) and post them there. You can set up rules so that different people can view different groups of photos. THis is a system I yes when they only need to view them.

Bagsey 16:41 06 Jul 2008

Another way of showing photos to friends and relatives who live overseas is to set up a web site (using one of the free sites, eg. MSN) and post them there. You can set up rules so that different people can view different groups of photos. This is a system I use when they only need to view them.

mfletch 16:55 06 Jul 2008

JPEG photos don't compress very well you would be better sending them using something like Yousendit

click here

mfletch

jack 17:16 06 Jul 2008

Method 1.
Download Shrinkpic from click here
the program is a TSR- once it is set up it runs in the background.
The package comes with its own 'How to Movie'

Method 2.
Use a free 'Image Host site
Look at
click here
or

click here

2 examples out of many out there
Google for more

DavyLad 18:52 06 Jul 2008

Thanks all. Quite a lot to digest. It is more complicated than I thought. Once agin, Thanks for the advice.

David

Pineman100 19:13 07 Jul 2008

If you consider the thread to be complete, please tick the box.

jakimo 00:30 08 Jul 2008

One of the most useful for this and other jobs is Picasa2,from Google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?