Photography Portfolio Site

Ade_1 19:35 04 Aug 2007

Hi,

I am looking into setting up my own photography portfolio site for people to browse my work. I currently use Flickr, however, I am wanting something to promote me and my work as I wouldn't mind trying to achieve some work via it.

If for example someone wanted to buy some of my photographs what procedure would I need to go to in order to do this? There are a number of options available to me I am sure, however, the easiest option in my opinion would be an e-mail with the name /ID of the photograph and the size in which they want it. As well as this would I need some sort of terms and conditions? I would imagine that I would but not sure how to go about writing them.

If anyone has a photography portfolio site, or knows of a good example of one which promotes and sells their work I would love to hear about them so as I could get a decent idea.

Thanks in advance

Aidan

djbenny 13:39 06 Aug 2007

i have made some in the past, but i dont think they are up anymore :( i am a photographer and understand what you mean there is click here but they take a huge percent of your profit!

email me and i could build you one if you want.

Ade_1 15:07 06 Aug 2007

Thanks for that djbenny. I have heard of deviantART before, however, never been particularly fond of it.

Thanks for the offer of building one, but I would be looking to do that myself. I do a little bit of web design also see.

Just out of interest, did you ever find that photography portfolio sites increased chances of getting work/selling prints?

djbenny 13:10 07 Aug 2007

if they are advertised well, yes

if not, no

is the simple answer and its the quality of your prints and the prices too.

adamcoppard 18:01 08 Aug 2007

If you undertook this project it would be easy to create it, but then you could essentially create a monster of a site. All of your images will have to be wartermakred in Photoshop so people can't nick them. Then you could create a PayPal function allowing people to select pictures, pay for them wiht an ID, you get an e-mail and give them access to a password protected directory like /boughtimages/id0756/img_id0756.jpg, and allow them to keep that password for their image,s or send them out like you suggested. The other problem is your fold, in the gallery, will you be using something like Coppermine, or will u be using some JavaScript lightboxes? The front page design of click here is nice....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?