photographic package for editing old photos anyone

Effie 23:17 06 Oct 2009

Please can anyone suggest a good photographic package that I could use to do some judicious editing on a few very old family photos ?

Or are there any old PC Advisor free software packages on CDs/DVD that might do the trick?

OTT_Buzzard 23:33 06 Oct 2009

Paint.net (click here) is good, alternatively Picassa (click here) is less functional but effective. I guess it depends on how much editing you want to do.

Both are free of charge.

eedcam 05:52 07 Oct 2009

You could try Gimp its free and plenty of tutorials it is virtually based on photoshop layout and should you outgrow it then you would find Photshop familiar
click here

ened 06:19 07 Oct 2009

I have always liked Irfanview for the basic stuff and for viewing. click here

If you want to go down the paying route Photoshop Elements will do pretty much everything you need and is reasonably priced click here.

I am using v6 which is less than twenty quid here.

Technotiger 07:46 07 Oct 2009

I use PhotoSuite4, I also have the later Version 7 but prefer version 4.

You will find that the most used tool when editing old photos, is the Clone tool, so any package with a good Clone Tool will probably enable you to do what you want.

Technotiger 07:49 07 Oct 2009

Also, have a look through this lot from Serif click here

Effie 12:04 07 Oct 2009

Thanks everyone for your input. I just want to be able to pick up some individual peoples profiles on the old pictures and re group them.

Looks like I'm going to be rather busy looking at all your suggestions so many thanks!!

LastChip 12:20 07 Oct 2009

I'm a little surprised no one's suggested the GIMP.

Almost as good as Photoshop and free.

click here

Just expect the same sort of learning curve as there is with Photoshop. The GIMP is a very powerful application. You'll find plenty of on-line support and tutorials for whatever you want to do.

chub_tor 12:26 07 Oct 2009

I agree with Technotiger about Serif, I have used it from its very first edition and started with the free version. Try out the free version and then if you like it upgrade to one of the later versions. You can usually get the "version before last" probably PhotoPlus 11 by now for around a tenner if you phone them.

Peter 12:28 07 Oct 2009

Didn't eedcam (2nd reply)suggest Gimp?

Come on, pay attention! ;->

Peter.

LastChip 13:18 07 Oct 2009

Quite right.

That's what comes of doing something in a hurry!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?