Photo Size Conundrum!

Ponkin 02:30 05 Jun 2003

Just for your delectation,I download pictures to my PC from my Fuji camera, using the Fuji program and save the pictures as jpegs. I repeat the exercise but this time via the Ofoto program.Curiously the saved pictures from Ofoto are roughly twice the file size than from the Fuji program. Discuss!

dcarr 03:12 05 Jun 2003

If there is no difference in the extension such as .tiff, there may be a difference in resolution. Check the image properties and you may find your answer

Ponkin 03:42 05 Jun 2003

Thanks dcarr,but no,the properties shown are identical. ie 300x300res and 2048x1536 H/W.
Curious eh

DieSse 09:12 05 Jun 2003

Jpegs have variable compression - so jpegs can have the same number of pixels and colours, but wildly different file sizes. When saving a jpeg you normally get a facility to change the amount of compression - so in the Save dialogues look for a button to change settings.

DieSse 09:15 05 Jun 2003

PS - a picture doesn't really have a resolution - it has a number of pixels. The resolution becomes whatever depending on the physical size you print or view the picture at. Even this is further clouded by the resolution or the printing or viewing device.

DieSse 09:16 05 Jun 2003

"resolution or the printing" should read resolution OF the .......etc

dcarr 00:04 06 Jun 2003

The only other thing I can think is that ofoto has different presets for transferring the pics. Fuji may compress more than ofoto. As diesse explains, there may be a box or button to regulate the transfer.

Ponkin 01:14 06 Jun 2003

Yes fellas, I had come to that same conclusion after giving some more thought to the puzzle.The pictures are saved automatically, but In other programs as you both rightly say, one chooses the compression.
Thank you for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?