Photo Reconition

Terry Brown 16:40 07 Feb 2010

I have a lot of photo's on my harddrive, of which there are many duplicates. Is there any way to find all the duplicates, so they can be removed.
Thanks
Terry

hssutton 16:48 07 Feb 2010

Picasa will find all images on your harddrive and organise them by date click here

wiz-king 16:53 07 Feb 2010

This one works quite well, click here gives you a thumbnail of the pictures so you can choose which one you want to remove. Works on most file types. Not free but cheap for what it does.

jamesd1981 17:21 07 Feb 2010

try EASY DUPLICATE FINDER its free and very good.

scotty 17:56 07 Feb 2010

Look at the current home page which has an article entitled 10 great free digital photography downloads.

On page 7 ( click here ) they mention VisiPics.

Terry Brown 07:25 08 Feb 2010

hssutton
It was picassa that created all the duplicates in the first place. It is a very good program for editing, but you have to be very careful otherwise you end up in a mess.
wiz-king & jamesd1981

Duplicate finder, the trial version will find pictures, but you cannot move or delete them unless you buy the full version.
scotty

Visipics, A brilliant program and for free.
Thank you
Terry

hssutton 08:44 08 Feb 2010

Picasa does not create duplicates, only creates a link to the original.

Technotiger 16:50 08 Feb 2010

Visipics is grreat, Free and easy to use.

Terry Brown 20:15 09 Feb 2010

I found a problem, in that removing the duplicates it also removed the original. however I think I see the problem.

Most of my duplicates was caused by Picassa, but I cannor remember which was the original and which are Picassa copies, so if I remove the original, all the other 'copies' linked to it also go.

Is there a work around to this ?
Terry

Technotiger 20:28 09 Feb 2010

What program are you using to remove the Duplicates?

hssutton 20:53 09 Feb 2010

As I posted previously picasa does not create duplicate/copies. All it does is create a link to the original.

I'm guessing that you do not have duplicates. Just uninstall Picasa and you will probably find that your "duplicates" have disappeared.

I do not have picasa on my pc so cannot check, but I'm sure that if you use the delete function it will ask if you want to delete from Picasa or from your hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017