photo printing and scanning dpi of original photog

algo mas 15:34 14 Aug 2008

I took some photogarphs of my daughters graduation.
I want to scan and then have this file used to make a canvas print.
I have two questions:

1] Do I scan the small photograph or the large one and do I scan at maximun dpi [my max is 1,200dpi]?

2] The right side of my daughters background is wider than the left so if it is put on canvas it will be a bit lop sided. Can I correct that by adding some more background to the left side?[ I have photo shop elements,home], or will the canvas printer do that for me?
Thanks in anticipation.

woodchip 15:41 14 Aug 2008

If you have two Photos use the big one to scan as the picture will be better,set to high res. is the photo big enough to crop square? as you can do this after in a Photo Edit Program.

Or you can use the Clone tool to fill the other part

Technotiger 16:02 14 Aug 2008

Just a point, maximum dpi does not necessarily mean a better picture. Probably best to experiment with dpi settings. As woodchip - use the bigger picture.

Woolwell 16:37 14 Aug 2008

I would go for cropping rather than trying to clone. It may be better to crop the picture to the proportions of the final canvas which I doubt will be square. Some photo editing programs allow you to do that eg it will give you an outline for 10 x 15 cm or larger.

High res scanning is not essential but is useful if you are going to enlarge a portion of the photo.

Some online photo printers will allow you to upload your photo and then use their tools to adjust for the final print.

algo mas 17:11 14 Aug 2008

Thank you all for your answers, will do the big photograph.

If I have the photo in photo elements, how do I add the background to the left of my daughter as there will be no spare space?

Hope question does not sound to daft!

Thanks.

Pineman100 18:08 14 Aug 2008

To extend the background you could use a number of different techniques. It all depends what's there at the moment.

If you have a background of something simple and repeatable, like a bit of grass and hedge, or beach and sea, the easiest way is probably to use the rectangular marquee tool to select a top-to-bottom area of what is there already. The width you select will be dictated by how much free background you have to copy.

Be sure to feather the selection by about 3 or 4 pixels, then copy and paste it (this will create a new layer for the pasted image).

Now enlarge the canvas width to give enough space to slide your pasted image across to the left of what's there already. The feathered edge will hopefully blend easily into the existing background - you may have to fiddle a bit to achieve this.

If necessary, repeat this procedure to add even more width on the left, until you reach a point where you have exceeded the amount by which you want to extend to the left. Now crop the picture to take off the feathered edge on the left.

If the result looks a bit stripey and obviously copied, used the clone tool to copy a few random details here and there to break it up.

Finally, flatten the image and resave it *under a new name* so as not to overwrite the original file.

I hope that's all understandable!

brindly 17:07 18 Aug 2008

Go to ASDA they will do it automaticly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?