Photo printing with a colour laser

justme 14:52 02 Aug 2009

I have just acquired an HP colour laser jet CP1215 and am happy with it so far.

Just a slight worry that when printing photos can I use the same photo paper I used with inkjets or will it somehow mess up the laser printer. I am worried that the inkjet photo paper might melt or something on the rollers when the toner is fused on to the paper.

AlanHo 14:59 02 Aug 2009

I have an OKI colour laser. I find that if I use glossy paper the toner rubs off. It refuses to stick to the surface and with the slightest handling the image is ruined.

It didn't damage the printer in any way - but proved to be a failure.

I now use 160 gram injet quality super white paper and get good photo results - but not quite as good as my Epson inkjet.

m800afc 15:14 02 Aug 2009

I use Mondi colour coated glossy paper from Staples. At 135gsm it is a bit light for unframed photographs, but for other colour work it is excellent. It is available in 250 sheet packs. They stock other glossy laser paper also.

click here

justme 15:14 02 Aug 2009

Thank you for your response. I did not want to use the printer for routine printing of photos but wondered what might happen if I used photo paper. Curiosity is a dangerous thing ... just ask any cat.

It prints reasonably good photos on plain paper and I did not want to mess up my nice new printer by doing something silly.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

justme 15:17 02 Aug 2009

Thanks for your information.

As I said in my reply to AlanHo I was just wondering what would happen. I will continue to print my photos using my inkjets.

m800afc 15:21 02 Aug 2009

Be very careful of using non-laser coated paper in laser printers. Some of them are coated with resins that melt in the very high temperatures within a laser printer. This molten resin may transfer to working parts of the printer and is extremely difficult to remove.
If it does not say "for use with laser printers" on the pack, I would strongly recommend you do not use it at all.
At a pinch, I have spray-mounted lightweight laser glossy onto a card backing, which is fine if you do not have too many to do.

justme 15:27 02 Aug 2009

You have just described exactly what I was worried about, and thankfully I decided to ask others before I gave in to curiosity and tried it.

I was aware of the heating that is part of the laser printing process and that is why I asked the question.

woodchip 15:38 02 Aug 2009

You should not use Inkjet Paper in a Laser, nether Glossy or Coated. It will wreck the printer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?