Photo Printer @ £100 - inkjet or dye sublimation

ditto2 15:13 24 Sep 2007

I need a Photo Printer at about £100-ish, I need it only for photographs so would a dedicated photo printer or even a dye sublimation printer (at this price) produce better quality prints than an all purpose photo printer?
I really don't know anything but I've looked at canon's inkjet with 9600x2400dpi and their dye sublimation printer within my budget at 300 x 600 dpi... I'm obviously assuming the inkjet's better or is that fine for postcard size? TIA for advice and any recommendations

jack 16:35 24 Sep 2007

A dedicated photo printer is an inkjet with paper size restricted to 6x4 thats all- the printed engine in say an Epson model is probably the same or very close to the full size R series.
It is the said that Dye Sub is the best repro.
but you are once more retricted to size - 6x4 unless you opt for one of the rarer Olympus or other models
Then you may have a supplies issue.
I believe click here do a range of Dyesubs

jack 16:36 24 Sep 2007

Dodgey link
try this one
click here

pj123 17:18 24 Sep 2007

I have two Epson R220 inkjet printers.

I uploaded 10 of my best photo's to a commercial printer who was offering a free trial (using dye sublimation).

When I got the prints back I printed the same 10 pictures on my R220 using Choice Stationery Instant Dry Photo paper and I could not tell the difference.

jack 08:43 25 Sep 2007

Sliding the issue ever so slightly.
Having printer troubles in recent times[now resolved] and needing some A4's rather quickly I uploaded my images to an 'online' print service.
In so doing I realized that I had overlooked to disable 'Shrink Pic'[the automatic resizer] so the print service got a very low rez image indeed.
I was truly amazed therefore to receive 36 hours later some truly impressive photographic prints.
Which cost about 1.20 each
I wondered why I am bothering with printing at all with that kind of service.

ditto2 17:02 25 Sep 2007

Thankyou both, something else I found out was that a 300dpi dye sub. printer is equivalent toa 4800dpi inkjet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?