Photo newcomer seeks net storage solution

real bully 22:42 26 Mar 2003

Just starting out on digital photography and looking for advice on where / how / safest place,if any to store/ access & keep private all my pics on the web.
Also what's the best way to get started printing photo's, I have and hp610c printer, some heavy photo paper & correct cartridge but cannot even get the paper to run through the printer.Plain print paper works to a point. help please

tbh72 22:54 26 Mar 2003

click here

They have secure online storage features, and they offer quite possibly the cheapest file to print prices I have seen, I have yet to fault there services.

I would offer them 10 out of 10

bigray 07:49 27 Mar 2003

I save up to 150 MB of pics in a folder then put onto CD, Argentum is a great bit of software to store details on click here hope this helps

€dstow 08:19 27 Mar 2003

We archive all of our photographs on CDR disks - NOT CDRW - as well as copies on a hard disk and a hard disk backup. In addition, our original film pictures are stored in the dark in cool place. Yes, we do still use photographic film.

I don't trust outside archiving, I'm afraid. I don't have any good reason for this except that our photographs are our lifeblood and if they were lost/destroyed in that archive our losses would be considerable.

I don't see a good reason for storing anything with an outside organisation in the way you seem to want to do.

€d

anchor 08:54 27 Mar 2003

€dstow is right!.

I recall reading a thread on this forum recently in which someone had stored data with an outide source, and now was unable to access it.

The whole web site for the storage company was down, and it appeared as if they had vanished overnight, without giving any notice to their customers.

A copy of your pics on a good brand of CD-R is your best solution.

As regard your printer problem, it could be that this printer will not use heavy weight paper. Most printers will say the maximum weight that they can use. Check with HP.

MAJ 09:05 27 Mar 2003

Concerning the storage issue, €dstow and anchor speak much sense. As for the HP 610C, I never had any problems using the ordinary HP Glossy Photopaper with that printer, try that out, it does give good results.

€dstow 09:12 27 Mar 2003

Not familiar with the printer but remember it's probably best to load only one sheet of photopaper at a time into the print tray.

€d

hssutton 09:13 27 Mar 2003

As €dstow & Anchor have already stated,the web is not the place to store images, It's really just a place to display them. If you really want to place them there, then Pbase is probably the best.
An alternative would be to have your own site using this small download (free,very good and so easy to use).

I save all my images to DVD always in Tiff format.

Harry

User-312386 09:14 27 Mar 2003

as €dstow has said with regards to storing

With regards to printing i would download the up to date drivers at the hp site click here select your operating system and it will take you through the process

madboy33

€dstow 09:20 27 Mar 2003

Yes, I always save in TIFF but we use a different file for each client/project, a CD is a suitable capacity for storage.

I am in the process of organising a weekly backup of all files on to DVD though.

€d

hssutton 09:38 27 Mar 2003

€dstow

Do you think that DVD disks are of superior quality to CD. This is the impression I have. In the past I have experienced problems with CD, but after extensive use tranfering all my many,many CD images to DVD this is my conclusion.

Harry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?