Photo Frame as a Laptop Screen Repeater?

Wuzzy10 16:32 27 Nov 2007

Does anyone know what needs to be done to allow a Photo Frame (with a USB input) to operate as a laptop screen repeater.

When sailing, I use my laptop with a GPS input as a chart plotter, but because of the environment, I have to keep dry it inside the boat. It would be much more convenient to waterproof a photo frame and have repeat the laptop screen by the steering position.

Any ideas, please?

TB

jack 17:07 27 Nov 2007

Not likely I would think.
To get full computer use you would need the normal VGA connector not USB.
But wait - every time some one says 'Not likely'
Someone somewhere just did.

jack 10:47 28 Nov 2007

If you have not yet acquired a photo frame then consider a cheap flat screen TV a 15in one may be about the same price as a frame.
The video out or even RAC out/ib line may be a possible.
Even a suitable gender bender perhaps - check out Maplins for example.

DieSse 10:55 28 Nov 2007

I've never heard of such a thing, and there will be no standard stuff to make this happen. Photo-frames just display images, and your laptop display is not available anywhere in the system as an image.

It could be done with a piece of software, which keeps repeatedly grabbing the screen as an image, then sending it via the photoframe software to the USB port. This would be a neat little item of software, but I'm not aware of it anywhere Perhaps the demand may not be high enough.

jack 19:34 29 Nov 2007

Spotted in ASDA to day.
15in LCD TV ONN brand - £119
Scart to RCA adaptor 3.50
RCA lead set 3.50

Wuzzy10 22:30 29 Nov 2007

Appreciate both your comments. I'll try the TV route, but it will have to be powered by 12V DC, the boat's power supply.

jack 17:53 30 Nov 2007

'12V DC, the boat's power supply.;

-------------------o0o-------------------
Here by lies a variable-all digi devices are low voltage some like most digi devices come with a 240v power brick to out put 12v or less
Others come with power supply built in - still 12 v or less but tricky to adapt.
ditto LCD monitors of course.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 30 Nov 2007

Look at the flat screen monitors with 12vDC power and VGA input at click here

you can just connect a VGA lead direct to the VGA outoutput socket on the laptop

smurfling 20:03 30 Nov 2007

Go for the TV and get a 600w power inverter from Maplin.

jack 09:47 01 Dec 2007

Water proofing could be problematic.
One can visualize smearing Silicone clear around case joints- But these things generate heat espially those with on-board supply-
They have to breathe.
Hmm I can see you having to cut a port in the rear of the saloon bulk head and putting a ploycarbonate 'window' in so that the screen stays inside-
This is going to get complicated
Perhaps a note book and pencil will suffice with the lappie positioned to be viewed through the companionway ;-}.

Wuzzy10 09:58 01 Dec 2007

Thanks for that, Jack. We could make a sailor out of you yet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?