Photo File Sizes

Jimbo4 11:41 02 Jan 2010

I have recently copied a Photo DVD into "My Pictures" on my hard drive in a new folder. The photos are professional but in jpeg format. The total folder size is 1.5GB as there are 200 large files. When I view these direct from the DVD all is O.K. When I view them from the copied folder on my hard drive there is considerable degradation of the picture quality on a number of the individual photos. This suggests to me that the files ahve been compressed. I am running XP with SP2 and have 1Gb ram on my machine. Is the problem that the folder is too larg to load into my RAM ? How can I overcome this problem as I wish to print some of the pictures and do not want a degraded outcome. I have never experienced this problem with any photos previously but then I have never had such a large folder size. Any advice would be helpful

johndrew 12:04 02 Jan 2010

All jpeg photos have some compression - that is what the format does. The quality of the image may depend on a number of factors, such as how much compression and/or editing and the number of saves made. Also the dimensions of the original picture; hover your mouse pointer over a picture and details should appear - the smaller the dimensions the `grainier` the picture is likely to look.

skidzy 12:56 02 Jan 2010

Using windows to view the images is not the best policy for large files..in my opinion.

If you have any software installed, i would suggest viewing through this.

If you do not have any software and would like some freeware, try Picasa or Photoscape

Picasa 3.6 click here

Photoscape click here

Both of these have a viewer...try them out.

There are many others around if needed...though i doubt it.

Images always look better through a paid for software.. but these should do the job for you.

Judging by the size of the files, it could just be your graphics cannot handle the size of the files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017