Photo enlargement

ianeon 16:24 06 Dec 2007

Good morning - I use a programme called "Photozoom Pro" by a company called Benvista to enlarge photographs without loss of definition - Yet when I watch TV programmes such as "Spooks" they seem to use a programme that is vastly superior to Photozoom - Is this TV trickery, or do they know something that I don't ? - Thank you - Ian

Totally-braindead 16:32 06 Dec 2007

I presume when you are talking about a program you are refering to the software they appear to use on the actual programme?

If so then I would say its a mix of both, probably the likes of MI5 and the CIA etc do have better programs than the likes of us common folk but if they do they certainly wouldn't tell you much about it and it wouldn't be available to us. Regarding the programme I think its unlikely the people who write and create the programme know much more than the rest of us so what you see is probably completely made up.

Only suggestion I have is to write or email the program producers and ask if what you saw in episode whatever it was is a real computer program and if so if they could tell you what it is called.

I think its probably just made up for the storyline though.

UncleP 17:46 06 Dec 2007

I think I saw that section of 'Spooks' which involved the heroes recovering a photographic quality image of the villain from a ghostly trail on a video recording. Rather unrealistic and unconvincing, in my view. While there are enhancement techniques which improve the quality of photographic images, particularly where multiple exposures are available to provide additional information, in the end you're limited by the practical laws of optics - lens defects, camera shake, digital resolution and noise etc.

Most graphics programs now provide a utility similar to the one you mention which increase the apparent resolution of a digital image by interpolating additional pixels between the existing points, avoiding zigzag or 'blocky' effects. The problem is that the algorithm used in the calculation may or may not correspond with the actual distribution of tones in the original scene, so a different form of distortion is introduced. And what may work well in one situation may not in another, so a variety of algorithms may need to be tried to get the best effect.

rusty 18:51 06 Dec 2007

Click hereclick here programme will mske very large enlargements,
I think the price is about £200.

rusty

hssutton 21:00 06 Dec 2007

There's a freebee click here, but you will need to download the Fractal interpolation plug-in

ianeon 07:56 07 Dec 2007

HSSUTTON - Thank you for that link - I shall try that.RUSTY - Thank you, but your link didn't work - UNCLEP - Thank you for the technical explanation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?