Photo enhancing software

Tankie 74 19:19 17 Nov 2006

I have approx 40 black/white photos all taken in Libya in 1958. They are fairly poor photos taken with a Brownie Box D. I am considering enlarging them etc. Should I buy some software. I do not taken many photos now although I have plenty of the grandchildren. I do not envisage going deeply into photo work on the computer. I am using XP.

VoG II 19:24 17 Nov 2006

See if click here will do what you want - it is free and excellent.

alB 20:19 17 Nov 2006

As well as VoG™s suggestion also take a look at Photoplus from Serif, an older version but still pretty good and also free ...alB

click here

anchor 16:53 18 Nov 2006

I am sure you will enjoy working on you old pictures and be surprsied what can be done.

I have done quite a lot of this using my scanner and Paint Shop Pro. I cannot comment on how the other programme suggestions would compare, not having used them.

To give you an idea of what can be done, have a look at the "before and after" of two very old photos I worked on.

The first, of my Grandfather, was taken in France during the first World War. I have also colorised it. The second is of my Grandmother, taken about 1913.

click here

click here

Sloper69 20:05 19 Nov 2006

Adobe Photoshop is excellent but more suitable to the professional due to its high price tag. I've used Paint Shop Pro in the past and that is good for retouching pics and general picture enhancement.

woodchip 20:43 19 Nov 2006

Even with the Best Software You cannot make a Bad picture into good one. So consider what you want to do and how much you want to spend, as there is a lot out there. Including some very good free stuff

alB 22:19 19 Nov 2006

The colourised version of your Grandmother looks superb ...alB

rezeeg 09:19 20 Nov 2006

alB I find Photoplus OK, but haven't tried any restorations.

anchor, well done.

mymate 19:58 22 Nov 2006

I bought Paint Shop Pro,because of what a amazing result anchor got from his photos. I can spend hours playing with PSP.great program.Well done anchor.

Belatucadrus 13:22 23 Nov 2006

click here Quite a few to look at her, my own favourite freebie is Photofiltre, compact and most of the time does anything I require of it.

Totally-braindead 15:47 23 Nov 2006

The 2 free programs I use a lot of time are Picassa and Faststone Image Viewer. Both are rather basic especially when compared to the likes of Photoshop but they may be enough for you. Heres the links click here and click here

Whatever software you do eventually decide to use the better the image you start with the better result you will get in the end(sorry if I'm stating the obvious).
May I ask how you propose to get the photos into the computer, do you have a good scanner or are you considering taking them to a photo shop to get them to put them on a CD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?