Photo editor

  sak41 13:15 04 Jul 2007


can anyone recommend a free photo editing software download..i have some pictures which are blurred and need sorting out..

thank you all in advance for your help

  oldbeefer2 13:18 04 Jul 2007

I use Serif click here

  Arnie 13:23 04 Jul 2007

I have yet to see any photo editing software that can successfully restore a blurred picture.

Anyway, if the pictures were taken with a digital camera, some basic editing software should have been supplied.

Were the pictures taken with a digital or film camera?

Once I know, I may be able to advise you on how to avoid the problem.

  sak41 13:34 04 Jul 2007

well thats a long story, they were taken from old black and white pictures using a digital camera, for the purpose of being used in a paper weight that has the picture lasered within the glass..its of my mom and dad at their engagement and is for a present for my moms 66th birthday..sadly lost my dad five years ago....the pictures look fine on the screen of the camera, but when i downloaded them onto the PC they look blurred.

  Totally-braindead 13:35 04 Jul 2007

You could try either Picassa 2 or Faststone Image Viewer, both are free but if the pics are blurry theres a limit to what you can do with any software, free or not.

  Arnie 13:51 04 Jul 2007

"the pictures look fine on the screen of the camera, but when i downloaded them onto the PC they look blurred."

Unless there is severe blurring, this will not always be noticed on a digital camera's small screen.

Viewing the pictures on a computer's larger monitor shows all the imperfections of the pictures.

During my working years, I spent some time in a drawing office. When the company wanted a high quality drawing, I drafted it large scale and then machine reduced it to produce a higher resolution drawing.

What you are experiencing is this pantographic process in reverse.

  P1d 13:59 04 Jul 2007

I use this one click here

  sak41 14:11 04 Jul 2007

so could i reduce the picture down so that it is about 3 inches in size, would that help ?

  ventanas 14:16 04 Jul 2007

If the blurring is through camera shake, then really that's it. Attempting to sharpen will only make things worse.

I assume the original monochrome images are ok, if so the only sure way is to re-photograph. Place the images in a well lit area (daylight preferably unless you can alter the white balance setting), vertically if possible, and put your camera on a tripod, or some other form of support level with the subject. Try to avoid flash if the originals are on a glossy paper.

Images will always look much better on a camera screen because they are displayed at very low resolution.

  jack 14:19 04 Jul 2007

Copying photos via another camera is not the best way of going about about the task
If you do not have a scanner is it not possible to get them scanned for you?
A friend with such a set up may be be willing to oblige.

  sak41 14:37 04 Jul 2007

thank you i will attempt photographing using a tripod, if that does not work i will try to find someone who can lend me a scanner...i did not think of that one!!

thank you all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?