Photo-editing Software Recommendations

Dirk Diggler 17:11 26 Sep 2008

I have an old copy of Paint Shop Pro (v7) which I have never really bothered to learn to use to any degree

Am now at a point where I need to really take the plunge and and learn to use some form of photo-editing software and I am noticing that Adobe Photoshop seems to be pretty much the industry standard

Now many of the tutorials that are available for PSP are for versions newer than mine so I need some recommendations on which route to take

Do I:-

(A) Join the masses and get myself a copy of Photoshop - giving me access to the plethora of magazines and tutorials

(B) Just upgrade to a newer version of PSP and try and build on the limited knowledge I have gained and use the less common mags etc

(C) Try a new package as recommended hopefully by yee good folk on here

Thanks

Pamy 17:19 26 Sep 2008

Nothing wrong with PSP7, and am sure there are many tutorials available and help files in the prog itself. You will find FS even more daunting than PSP.

woodchip 17:22 26 Sep 2008

As above you would do well to get used to what you have, before shelling out hundreds for a Program thats harder to use than PSP

eedcam 18:52 26 Sep 2008

As already said and just google paint shop tutorials .Most of the later version tutorials are backward compatible and Paint shop is a bit easier to get to grips with than Photoshop.Basically most everyday functions are the same in both though I would say the key to manipulating photos really needs using layers and selections and that is much easier with photoshop.The time to change is when Paintshop cant do what you want it to .Of course you could always go for elements a cut down version of photoshop

Epirb406 19:49 26 Sep 2008

Serif should have a mention here too, have a look about for versions of Photoplus 9 or later....

Just my feelings, I am a Serif Junkie!

Epirb.

Epirb406 19:51 26 Sep 2008

Should also have said that for the most part it is not the program you choose but the amount of time you spend with it, look at the Mac/ Windows argument for confirmation!

'pirb

BRYNIT 21:18 26 Sep 2008

Or look at these sites on PSP 7 tutorials

click here
click here
click here
click here

PalaeoBill 21:26 26 Sep 2008

GimpShop is a pretty good freeware product which has the look and feel of PhotoShop and it supports many of PhotoShops feature; to the extent that you can run through PhotoShop tutorials unmodifed in GimpShop.

click here

PSRW 17:26 28 Mar 2009

I need a really good programme that can manipulate photos. Is there one that uses .jpg? I have adobe photoshop, but it is a bit basic. Thanks.
PSRW

BT 17:58 28 Mar 2009

Which version have you got? Photoshop is anything but.
As regards using .jpg, virtuallY all photo programs can work on and save out in .jpg format.

If you want a free one Paint.Net is a good one.

click here

gardener 18:01 28 Mar 2009

I agree with Epirb406, Serif.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?