Photo editing program required.

Totally-braindead 15:51 22 Nov 2007

Anyone know of a program that will enhance photos from newsprint. My mum has this old photo of her brother who died about 30 years ago in an accident and its from a newspaper. I realise theres a limitation as to what can be done.
I've got Picassa and Faststone Image Viewer as well as GIMP and Photoshop 6.0 and the scans and printouts aren't that good and I don't know enough about the likes of photoshop to do that much about it.

Does anyone know of a simple program (preferably one click) that will enhance newsprint photos?

MAJ 15:57 22 Nov 2007

Try this suggestion for Photoshop, there are a few other suggestions there as well. click here

johnnyrocker 15:59 22 Nov 2007

you could try click here

johnny.

HCOOH 16:06 22 Nov 2007

Have you got a "moire" filter in photoshop, I am guessing you are trying to remove the dots.

Totally-braindead 16:14 22 Nov 2007

Away to try some of your ideas thanks.

Totally-braindead 16:21 22 Nov 2007

So far I haven't got on very well with Photoshop anything I do isn't much improvement, of course I'm not really sure of what I'm actually doing as I usually avoid using Photoshop.

Away to try infaview.

eedcam 18:32 22 Nov 2007

No Moire filter in Photoshop I usually play around with Gaussian blur under filters or even checkout the noise filters/ Paint shop has More filters and others

Pineman100 19:16 22 Nov 2007

When you scanned the photo, did you switch on "de-screen" in your scanning software.

Newspaper photos are usually a pretty coarse screen, and this function will interpolate "infill" information to fill in between the dots.

Depending on your software, you may get the choice of what resolution de-screen will run at - just try various settings to see what gives you the best results.

Totally-braindead 19:57 22 Nov 2007

Pineman100 I'll see if thats an option, perhaps in the advanced.

Otherwise no luck, its a pretty poor picture I think I might be wasting my time, but we'll see.

HCOOH 19:58 22 Nov 2007

This little programme is free and plugs into a load of photo editors
click here

Technotiger 22:04 22 Nov 2007

I have printed several newspaper pics, via my Epson scanner with moire settings and self-made filter - works quite well. Perhaps if you would like to email a copy of it via my envelope I could have a look to see if I can sort it. I have just done a whole load of photos today for a friend, not from newspaper, but old fairly poor quality pics - managed to bring them up like new, well almost! I doubt that any of the regular freebie programs like Irfanview etc would do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?