phone 'pings' in the night

Carafaraday 16:29 20 Oct 2006

Just newly got broadband and have three times been woken in the night (around 3am) by the bedside phone 'pinging' - not ringing just 3 or 4 wee short pings.

Two questions here.
1. How can I stop being woken up in the night other than unplugging the phone. I gather that BT may be doing some sort of test at that hour..
2. If BT is testing my broadband connection at that hour can they do so when my pc is off and my modem is also switched off. Can they test the connection when my firewall (ZA free) has engaged internet lock?

Stuartli 16:37 20 Oct 2006

It's probably the result of automated calls from call centres from abroad - more calls are sent out than can be accommodated by the call centre itself and the result is (normally) that your phone rings once and cuts off.

Annoying but it happens fairly regularly.

Carafaraday 16:39 20 Oct 2006

Stuartli, Thank you for your reply - the phone doesn't really ring (I know what you mean by the call centre calls) it pings - the way it used to do long ago when you hung up after a call. Only it pings two or three times.

rawprawn 16:39 20 Oct 2006

Make sure that you have you put filtres on each (every) telephone connection where there is a phone connected

Carafaraday 16:42 20 Oct 2006

Rawprawn thank you for replying. Yes, I have filters installed on every connection.

fitshase 17:53 20 Oct 2006

Unplug the broadband on an evening to see if that cures the problem. If it does, contact your ISP/BT to resolve. If it doesn't, contact BT as there is a fault on the line.

Forum Editor 18:14 20 Oct 2006

and I've had a BT broadband connection for years.

Carafaraday 18:29 20 Oct 2006

Thanks everyone - the modem/router thingie(!) is off at night but not disconnected - I'll give that a try. Thing is I won't really know if it's worked as it doesn't happen every night just 3 times in the last 3 weeks. I think it may be caused by bt testing the line but not sure.

Carafaraday 18:32 20 Oct 2006

I don't actually have bt broadband (madasafish) but it's a bt line.

rodriguez 18:44 20 Oct 2006

If it's a cordless, it might be that the battery in the phone needs replacing. I have a BT digital cordless that beeps when you put the handset back on the base unit, but if the battery needs changing it beeps on it's own. It also beeps on it's own if it hasn't been seated properly on the base unit.

eqpq 18:58 20 Oct 2006

It's a BT auto line tester they have used it for years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?