Phone line disconnection soon after connecting.

askgreg 21:50 11 Mar 2004

This sounds rather a stupid question to raise,but it is happening to a friend who has tried all sorts of obvious things before appealling for help.The system did work quite normally until recently and no radical changes had taken place
just before the incident.

The ordinary phone has no problems when used for voice,the software has been removed and reinstalled several times with no improvement.I suppose the Modem could be faulty but having no replacement not easy to prove.

What other suggestions can I make from a distance,the problem isn't just round the corner, but some 250 miles away.

Many thanks for your anticipated responses,I'm sure I've missed the obvious.

Freeserve is the ISP and Windows 98 the OS.

Chegs ® 21:58 11 Mar 2004

dialup or broadband?

askgreg 23:12 11 Mar 2004

Chegs

Dialup with 'Freeserve Anytime'.

Chegs ® 23:20 11 Mar 2004

Try removing the modem in Device Manager,reinstalling the drivers and see if that effects a cure.Could be noise on the connection to the ISP that causes it.

askgreg 23:26 11 Mar 2004

Chegs

Many thanks for your reply.I might be able to make contact tomorrow with the problem, as I said it is some 250 miles away and I don't know his movements.Keep your eye open for me over the next day or two.

Regards Greg Askey

Old Shep 13:57 12 Mar 2004

Am with Freeserve Anytime and have experienced the same problem. Have you updated the phone number to dial - mine is 147008089916080 they keep changing it.

Sheila-214876 14:00 12 Mar 2004

Also check if you have 1571 activated. If so you need to delete all messages before using the modem.

johnga 16:15 12 Mar 2004

Had a similar problem recently,with the connection breaking after anything from 10 seconds to several minutes. Needless to say, I at first blamed BT, unfairly as it turned out.I eventually traced the source to two causes. The first was that the modem had failed, so I had a new modem installed: cost me £55 all in. The second is that there was excessive noise on the line, which is a branch off my main telephone line. The new modem works excellently when connected by a long lead to my main telephone circuit but not when plugged into the 'office' sub-circuit. I am getting BT in to look at the latter.

Hope this helps!

speedy007 18:47 12 Mar 2004

Hi I hope this helps a little if the problem still persists.
I had the same trouble once apon a time till broadband came along.
ring this No-17070 and you will be given an engineers line. you will be given a choice.
Press No2 on your phone for the quiet line test.
If you hear any noise on the line then ring BT up and ask for the gain to be turned up.
If they do that and there still seems to be a problem then it could be the cable that comes from the junction box to the house that is at fault.

askgreg 19:10 12 Mar 2004

Hi All

Many thanks for your responses,I'll past them on and then I'll be back to you all, it might take a little time, but I will be back.

Kind regards Greg Askey

If you hear any noise, remove the front cover of the main box and plug a phone into the main socket. This will by-pass any internal wiring. Try 17070 from there. If you hear noise, report a fault to BT.

If the gain is increased on a noisy line, the noise will be amplified as well, although I would expect BT would do a test first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?