phone line and broadband

lahorie 16:10 22 Mar 2005

Hi Guys

Does anyone know if broadband will work on a one way phone line i.e incoming calls only?

I would really like some suggestions regarding this as BT have told me otherwise.

Thanks

Lahorie

Graham ® 16:16 22 Mar 2005

I gave you my response this morning click here. You won't get a different answer by asking again -

Magik ®© 16:16 22 Mar 2005

what phone company does a one way only line ?

even if there was one, you could download but no upload..........

Magik ®© 16:18 22 Mar 2005

Graham ®, I knew i had seen it before, just could not think where.....

GBL 16:24 22 Mar 2005

Sounds like someone hasn't paid their phone bill to get a one way line. BT should know what they are talking about as they connect upgrade the line in the first place.

lahorie 16:30 22 Mar 2005

Hi Graham and Magik

Graham i saw your posts and it is true that it was a one way phone line - incoming only and it worked with broadband. I know thhi because i could not make any outgoing calls but could access broadband.

Magik it's a BT line

Yoda Knight 16:31 22 Mar 2005

How do u talk on the phone if it only connects one way ???

lahorie 16:33 22 Mar 2005

yoda knight

mobile phone

plsndrs3 16:33 22 Mar 2005

BT can agree to incoming calls only on a line as my daughter had this service so that we could contact her in emergencies [cheaper line rental] BUT, if you cannot make outgoing calls, how can the pc connect with the web and its different pages with various screeches & so on? After all, you connect to the broadband ISP, they don't connect to your PC .....

Paul

Graham ® 16:36 22 Mar 2005

The line must have had Call Barring in operation. click here

lahorie 08:45 23 Mar 2005

plsndrs3 - paul

This is my confusion exactly. I had (my tenent to be honest) the same set up as your daughter, incoming only and emergencies. Now i don't use the BT landline at all, i have a company mobile, all calls paid for so why should i pay 30 odd quid for a 2 way line i'm never going to use!!!

All free phone numbers are open obviously so dial up was not a proble for him - but as many people have said here, if you need an incoming/outgoing phone line for broadband, how the hell did he do this with incoming only - and if it's possible i'd rather do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?