Phone extension as network cable.

Bogbrain 15:33 07 Jan 2007

A friend is curious if this is possible. 2 pc's in house and they don't seem to want a wireless connection but want or prefer a cable extension.
Hence the question, is a phone extension capable of having a network run from it. Scant info I know but I said I would try and find out what I could for them, will try and supply any further 'spec' details as and when, if needed.

Dan S 15:45 07 Jan 2007

Technically, you can do this using what's known as HPNA (Home Phone Networking Alliance), but from what I can gather, you need a little adapter to make it work and if it does I have no idea as to the performance you'll get.

Network cables come with a standard specification that we can equate to performance - Cat3, Cat5 and Cat5e correspond to 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1000Mbps respectively - however I'm not sure the same can be said with HPNA. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth a try, but I wouldn't expect light-speeds from it.

SANTOS7 15:45 07 Jan 2007

You probably could but The problem with cables is they suffer from cable distance limitations & also suffer physical problems such as kinking, heat problems, EMR & RFI problems, connector problems,etc.
I can foresee endless probs try and convince them wireless is the way to go...

Dan S 15:57 07 Jan 2007

If they, as I do, firmly state that wireless is far too unreliable to be depended on for a network infrastructure, suggest they discard their phone extension cable for a long length of Cat5e Ethernet cable; I was able to get a 50 metre length for just over £10, and you can get 25m ones for even less.

Either way, SANTOS7 and myself certainly seem to be in agreement that you should leave the phone extension cable for phone calls ;).

Stuartli 16:36 07 Jan 2007

This might be the answer:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?