phishing?

flyingbrit 03:33 08 May 2008

Hi all,
A friend recieved an e-mail from his mother that she had not sent, after scanning it for viruses, he opened it to find it was advertising MP3 players from a company in China. After some investigations he found that all the people in his mother's address book of her Hotmail account had been sent the same e-mail, and her in-box had been emptied. Is this a type of "phishing" and if it is, does anyone know how it was done?
Regards....John

octal 06:07 08 May 2008

His mum has probably got a Bot on her computer, this site explains the various threats including Bots click here

flyingbrit 14:53 08 May 2008

Cheers octal,
what do you recommend to shift it "spybot"?

sean-278262 15:01 08 May 2008

I would advise you install the following
- Antivirus (Avg or avast or any other reputable ones)
- Spybot search and destroy
- Spyware blaster
- CCleaner

All the above are free and come highly recommended. Be sure to run them all and correct any issues. I find that if you have an issue in any of them you should re run them as in the past I have found that a number of items previously not uncovered crop up. Usually it is best to over check the computer and be sure nothing else lurks in it.

If your mother uses the computer to buy online and is worried about her details being used such as credit card, then it may be more assertive to her and keeping her feeling safe and to reinstall windows and telling her that this way will clear everything so that they cannot get any other details of hers. If she does shop online it might be good to get her to also contact her bank and card companies to tell them about this activity.

On a side be sure to get her to change to a totally (not even vaguely similar) password for her various accounts online and on her computer to be sure everything is safe from further hacking.

If you need any more help be sure to ask it as this kind of issue is something no on here likes to see happen.

A

flyingbrit 15:30 08 May 2008

astec123,
cheers pal, yea I've put her all the apps on her pc you recommend, accept spyware blaster, all I have to do now is get her to use them once in a while :)
John

sean-278262 15:51 08 May 2008

I found with my dad it was easiest to sit them down and take them step by step and get them to write down so they can follow it how to do it. I get my dad to run them once every 2 weeks and it seems to have stuck in his mind so would suggest you try the same. Make sure to demonstrate updates as well.

Any particular reason for not getting spyware blaster? I find it is the ideal way to keep bots from getting on the computer in the first place. 2 years now bot free since getting Spyware blaster so it seems to do its job.

A

flyingbrit 16:28 08 May 2008

A,
no, no particular reason, it's just that you get a few apps you like and never seem to try any others :) will try blaster tho'
Thanks, will tick resolved, and be back with the results.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?