phillips dvd-rw recorder

denis93c 22:32 19 Oct 2004

i have a phillips dvd-rw recorder,today i bought
a 5 pack of tdk dvd-r discs,but the dvd recorder
displays "NO DISC".
what are these discs for?

THE TERMINATOR 23:08 19 Oct 2004

Are you sure it is a dvd-rw and not dvd+rw drive? Or that the disks were dvd-r you should not get this message unless the disks are dodgy. Check them all....T

denis93c 17:06 21 Oct 2004

sorry my mistake the dvd recorder says "dvd+rewritable",the discs are dvd-r,does this mean the discs are no good for the machine,or are there any settings i can make on the machine?

THE TERMINATOR 00:41 24 Oct 2004

Sorry for taking so long to get back, if your writer is dvd+ then you can only use dvd+ disks in the drive, unfortunately there are no settings to change or firmware or software you can get to make this drive accept the minus(-) format. If your drive is still under warranty however, you could take it back to the shop where you got it(and the receipt)and exchange it for a +/- dual writer, or change the disks....T

denis93c 17:00 25 Oct 2004

thank-you for the info,can the discs mentioned above be used on a pc?

SEASHANTY 20:05 25 Oct 2004

If you have a dual format DVD writer on your PC which accepts both + and - format recordable discs
then you can use the discs on that writer. The latest Philips Home DVD recorders are dual format
accepting both types of discs.

PA28 20:10 25 Oct 2004

Wouldn't it be nice if the differing standards for writeable disks were a little clearer in name. Rather than - and +, why not have RED and BLACK or something equally as clear (I suppose VHS and Betamax would do nicely as well!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?