PHILIPS DVD +-RW SDV 8820

manrow 22:42 02 Mar 2008

This cd/dvd recorder on my Advent 7111 laptop will burn and play a cd but although it gives all the right indications it will not burn nor apparently play a dvd.

What do I do?

MAJ 22:45 02 Mar 2008

Do you mean the SDVD 8820?

How old is the laptop, I assume the laptop is the same age?

If it's still within warranty, try getting the drive replaced. If it's older then the DVD laser could have died.

MAJ 22:51 02 Mar 2008

How old is the laptop, I assume the *DRIVE* is the same age?

manrow 22:56 02 Mar 2008

Sorry yes, the SDVD 8820, which is now out of warranty.

Would this be expensive to replace if necessary?

MAJ 23:25 02 Mar 2008

Assuming the DVD laser is dead, you could buy a new drive from click here if you email them they will tell you if any drive is compatible with your laptop.

manrow 08:09 05 Mar 2008

Thanks MAJ, I tried them but DriveMyLaptop are unable to trace a suitable replacement, and suggested that the DVD writer was only sold to PcWorld and Dell for inclusion in their own laptops. They further suggested I contact them. PcWorld have already had my laptop in for repair including a request to check DVD functions. PcWorld could only tell me in January last year that a software update would be notified to all owners 'shortly' I am still waiting!!

But asking Dell yesterday they offered a software update dated January 2007, which I have now downloaded, so lets see if that makes any difference. Obviously Dell still believe in customer service!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?