Phantom usage of my hard drive.

big erch 12:21 16 May 2004

I have a 120GB hard drive; when purchased it was already partitioned, 60/50/10. The 50 partition is called "D" drive, which is completely empty, according to explorer, but when viewed through properties, it only displays 40GB as available and 10 is in use. Does anyone have an explanation, why?

Cheers!

justme 13:01 16 May 2004

Make sure that your windows explorer is set to display hidden and system files and look again.

If this does not help then drop down to DOS and type "DIR D:/S" without the quotation marks and see if anything shows up.

As a last resort (and you are very sure that there are no files your computer needs on drive D
) you could always format it and see if that solves your problem.

spuds 13:18 16 May 2004

You say that the hard drive was already partitioned.Was this a new hard drive or a refurbished unit when you made the purchase!.

big erch 18:14 16 May 2004

Justme. Thx for the advice, I'll try it.
Spud. This was a brand new computer.
Cheers!

stalion 18:20 16 May 2004

it could be recovery on the missing space put there by the makers of the pc

Quiller. 18:26 16 May 2004

It may be that you will find that system restore, for that drive is turned on. It allocates 12% of the drive space, as default. = 6.0 gig

Check in control panel \ system \ system restore. Click the "D" drive and then settings.

Also You may find that the recycle bin has a large amount set aside for that drive.

Right click the recycle bin and pick properties. Now pick the "D" drive and see if it's set for 10%, default. That's 5gig.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017