Personal experience ubuntu

peugeot man 22:31 26 Jan 2011

I have a home network comprising 2 laptops and 1 desktop, all running Windows 7 Home Premium.
I have just added a old low spec desktop running XP Pro, (it was Win 98) that I need for a work project.

This latest addition is painfully slow, also it fails MS genuine software check, I guess this is because I already registered the installation on a PC which I have long since scrapped.

As this is only for a short term project I don't want to spend any money on upgrading.

I am considering installing ubuntu on this old relic and removing windows. Does anyone have personal experience of this OS? In particular do you know if it will network with Win 7?

LastChip 01:12 27 Jan 2011

click here

If it does (in particular the RAM), then yes, you can set it up to network with just about anything you want.

Otherwise, try Puppy Linux.

peugeot man 05:48 27 Jan 2011

Good info thanks.

dms_05 08:12 27 Jan 2011

I'm currently using Puppy Linux and running it from a 2GB SD Card. It runs fine on even older hardware and the 2GB SD Card has over 1GB left for personal data. No need for vast memory or big HDD. However you will need at least a CD drive to run and install it on your computer.

Current releases of most other Linux distributions need modern hardware and decent sized memory. Puppy Linux or DSL are both minimalist installations and will run on many older laptops.

Try downloading a Puppy Linux LiveCD and run that to see if your hardware is compatible click here

scotty 12:08 27 Jan 2011

There is a light weight version of Ubuntu called Lubuntu. It is based on LXDE rather than gnome. I have seen many recommendations for it especially for netbooks and was intending to give it a try on an aging pc.

Jollyjohn 13:24 27 Jan 2011

I would suggest Linux Mint 5 ( current version 10) Here is a link to 5 click here
Mint is based on Ubuntu distributions and is quite straightforward to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?