Persistent Storage Manager

guesswho2 14:49 22 Feb 2009

Frequently when my computer boots up, the mouse is 'frozen' and I have to switch off the power and reboot.
When this has happened, Event Viewer shows a warning Event ID 18 - "the device sent an incorrect response following a mouse reset. The Microsoft Help and Support reference describes what to do in the Persistent Storage Manager - but doesn't say how to get to it!
Does anyone know how to access this thing?

brundle 14:55 22 Feb 2009

Some suggestions; click here

Sea Urchin 14:58 22 Feb 2009

Any help?

click here

guesswho2 16:57 22 Feb 2009

Thanks both brundle and Sea Urchin. Sorry about the delay in replying - visitors intruded!
I shall play around with the ideas in the 1st ref. but dealing with IRQs would be beyond my competence I fear.
The 2nd ref. is all about the Persistent Storage Manager certainly, but it doesn't explain how to get there!

Sea Urchin 17:08 22 Feb 2009

Finding the Persistent Storage Manager

The Persistent Storage Manager (PSM) is accessed from the Disks tab on the Administration User Interface (UI) task bar

brundle 17:09 22 Feb 2009

Where has the reference to Persistent Storage Manager come from? I can't see the relationship between the two. click here

click here

guesswho2 17:22 22 Feb 2009

Sea Urchin.
"The Persistent Storage Manager (PSM) is accessed from the Disks tab on the Administration User Interface (UI) task bar"
But I can't see how to get to the Admin. User Interface?!
brundle.
I don't remember exactly where I saw it initially but I Googled to a particular Microsoft Help and Support site and there it was!

brundle 17:24 22 Feb 2009

"But I can't see how to get to the Admin. User Interface?!"

Are you running the Maxtor software specified in the PDF file? Are you using a NAS drive? If not, it's a blind alley.I would forget that side of it, its related to NAS drives. Nothing to do with the mouse.

guesswho2 17:37 22 Feb 2009

Thanks for that brundle. That would explain why I can't access it!

Sea Urchin 18:26 22 Feb 2009

I assumed the Persistent Storage Manager was shown in your error message and that you must be using Maxtor software, but it seems you planted a red herring.

guesswho2 22:26 22 Feb 2009

Sea Urchin.
Be assured that I didn't mean to plant a red herring! Sorry about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017