Persistent Spyware Detected Icon in Taskbar

segul111 22:57 24 Aug 2006

I recently downloaded Windows Defender Beta 2 and then upgraded itunes, When I carried out a scan Windows defender reporedted ipodservice.exe as a spyware intrusion and asked me to click on the red circled white crossed icon in the taskbar to correct the problem. I did as requested and then carried out a full system scan and forund that there was no reported spyware on my system....however, I now have an icon I can't seem to get rid of in the taskbar which when the mouse is rolled over it says 'your system is infected' I'm sure it isn't but how on earth can I get rid of the icon.

I've tried removing the anti spyware software and reinstalling, restoring the computer to an earlier 'clean' date manually checking suspected spyware locations using pestcontrol, and restarting the computer several times but to no avail. Is the only way I have of ridding myself of this icon a reformatting of the hard drive?

phono 23:01 24 Aug 2006

Right click the icon and see if there is an About or Properties selection available, if so click on either/both and post back with whatever information is available.

segul111 23:04 24 Aug 2006

Okay tried right clicking it, no joy, if I roll the mouse over it it comes up with a nice little 'your computer is infected' message...most helpful that is! left clicking has no effect either!

phono 23:10 24 Aug 2006

I would suspect it is some sort of malware, what antivirus, spyware, malware checks have you done?

gudgulf 23:12 24 Aug 2006

Sounds like you have a SpyAxe infection click here

Try dowloading the removal tool in the link and see if it finds anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone