Persistent hum

Davsea 23:59 22 Sep 2003

I installed the latest Ejay music package HipHop5 on Friday. Unfortunately the program has left a persistent hum over all sounds from my Soundblaster Live card. I CAN hear all music/audio files but the hum is quite loud. I burned some music WAV files I had already stored in Media Player to CD and there is no hum at all on the tracks - thank goodness, but the persistent hum from the speakers/earphones is driving me nuts. I uninstalled HipHop5 and used a couple of restore points, but to no avail. I have the latest Sblaster drivers and the Labtec speakers are okay..........Any ideas? I hope someone can help because the only program I can enjoy at the moment is Flight Simulator 2002 where the engine noise drowns out the hum!!!
I run a P4 2.4 NEC with 1gb Ram, 120gb HD, SoundBlaster Live! (WDM) series card.......

Davsea 00:02 23 Sep 2003

Apologies - forgot to mention I use WindowsXP Home............

Djohn 00:11 23 Sep 2003

I don't think the program will have caused this to happen, just a coincidence that it occurred at the same time. From you description it sounds more like a mains hum from the transformer in the base unit of your speakers. Have you moved them recently or used the controls on the speakers themselves?

Is the hum coming from all speakers or just the one with the transformer inside? Try adjusting the controls of the speakers and also remove/replace all connections at the speaker end and the rear of the PC, it might just be a dirty connector. j.

JIM 00:14 23 Sep 2003

Microphone attached/enabled ? play control panel.

Davsea 00:51 23 Sep 2003

JIM............No microphone attached/enabled

Djohn..........Have not moved or altered base unit in anyway, the only thing I use is the volume control knob. Took your advice unplugged everything and gave the connectors a 'gentle wipe'!! but problem remains. Looks like my speakers are dying then if the transformer is humming!!!

Strangely enough, I cannot get any restore points to work now.not even as far back as April........

Djohn 01:08 23 Sep 2003

Is it possible to borrow a pair of stereo speakers to try before writing yours off. Also try disconnecting the speakers and use headphones direct from the sound card, just to double check that it's not the card causing the problem, but I doubt it. j.

Stuartli 01:18 23 Sep 2003

A hum is most likely caused by feedback - you'll have to work out by trial and elimination what is causing it.

Most likely cause is feedback from a mike.

Djohn 12:19 23 Sep 2003

click here Pleased to hear you got it sorted, we all do things like that at times, then have a complete mental block to what we might have changed. Regards. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?