Persistent Black Screen (Idle/Low Usage)

Sean.S 01:12 06 Oct 2017

Greetings,

I am looking for some help and advice regarding a recurring black screen crash with my PC.

Basically, my PC runs okay when under load (for example, playing modern games at high resolution). It remains stable for literally days on end if I leave a game open, a benchmark on, etc.

However, when I am using the PC for less intensive tasks such as internet browsing, video playback (in web browser, or with a standalone player) I have intermittent crashes. If the PC is left Idle overnight it is a 90% chance it will black screen by the time I wake up.

The crashes are hard to diagnose because the computer remains 'on' but will not display anything. No blue screen, no windows has recovered from an error, etc.

If I leave the PC in this state, it sometimes recovers and displays the last frame before the black screen but with some artifacts.

I have replaced a few parts in an attempt to resolve the issue - but I have hit a brick wall and really don't know what to try next.

I have installed a new SSD and new HDD this week with a clean install of windows.

I also took the time to clean my CPU, apply new thermal paste and a new cooler. In case it was a temperature or airflow problem.

I have tried different ram memory modules, different configurations, etc.

I have updated the MOBO, updated windows 10 and updated all device drivers.

I have tried different drivers for my GPU (as I suspect this may be a driver issue) and the stability does seem to vary based on the driver in use.

I had a period of 3-4 months where the black screens stopped. Then they returned without me changing any hardware.

I wonder if it may be a problem with my external peripherals (e.g my Mechanical keyboard) - I do have some issues with USB's seemingly connecting and disconnecting in a loop as if the power is surging?

I will be trying the following next:

1. Removing all my USB's and adding them one by one in case it's a faulty accessory.
  2. Removing my surge protector and running from the wall socket directly.
  3. Checking my Mobo and Bios for any stupid configurations.

Can anybody think of anything else to try or help me narrow down the possible problems?

My system specs are as follows:

PSU: Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 TRI-X 8GB GDDR5 DVI-D HDMI

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (Hyper 212 EVO/ Big Shruiken 2)

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

RAM: 4 x 4GB

SSD: Samsung EVO

HDD: WD 1 TB

Accessories:

Hyper X Headset Deathadder Chroma Mouse Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard

Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:06 06 Oct 2017

Sounds ore like its going into sleep mode and struggling to wake. have you tried changing the power settings eg. turn off screen to "never"

Sean.S 00:46 08 Oct 2017

Greetings,

Thanks for the reply. I have disabled hibernation / sleep mode via windows command prompt. The problem persists.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?