Perplexing Dial-Up!

Chris the Ancient 17:39 02 Mar 2004

Working on nthell broadbean - normally!

Every so often - usually on boot up, I get a dial up connection window to my 56k provider freeserve. And I can never work out why. So, one morning, I let it connect to see where it would go. But that's all it did - it connected to freeserve and waited!

Searched for anything resembling a dialler... zilch

Run Adaware... zilch

Run Spybot... zilch

Run Cwshredder... you guessed it... zilch.

It's not the end of the world - just perplexing.

Any thoughts out there?

Chris

Chris the Ancient 08:47 03 Mar 2004

This morning, the dial up box popped up again!

:0((((

Catch the thread later in the day

Chris

Chris the Ancient 08:47 03 Mar 2004

This morning, the dial up box popped up again!

:0((((

Catch the thread later in the day

Chris

Chris the Ancient 09:03 03 Mar 2004

... I may have cracked it!

Had a sudden thought while I was getting ready to go out when I looked at my watch.

Internet time synchronisation!

It's set to automatic and it was last updated when I allowed the DUN to connect yesterday! (XP was initially installed on 56k).

I'm 99% convinced, so I shall be the eternal optimist, click as resolved and hope.

Chris

Chris the Ancient 09:03 03 Mar 2004

... I may have cracked it!

Had a sudden thought while I was getting ready to go out when I looked at my watch.

Internet time synchronisation!

It's set to automatic and it was last updated when I allowed the DUN to connect yesterday! (XP was initially installed on 56k).

I'm 99% convinced, so I shall be the eternal optimist, click as resolved and hope.

Chris

Stuartli 09:10 03 Mar 2004

The odds are/were that it's an automatic update feature from one program or other or perhaps Outlook Express checking for new messages.

There's also Dial Whenever A Network Connection Is Not Present in Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab - this may have been enabled rather than Always Dial My Default Connection.

Stuartli 09:10 03 Mar 2004

The odds are/were that it's an automatic update feature from one program or other or perhaps Outlook Express checking for new messages.

There's also Dial Whenever A Network Connection Is Not Present in Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab - this may have been enabled rather than Always Dial My Default Connection.

Chris the Ancient 11:02 03 Mar 2004

...for five minutes on the way past.

Stuartli - hopefully, stopping the clock synchronisation has cure the automatic update. I've been through everything with a fine tooth comb and got all the 'regulars'.

However, your second point about 'always dial...' is a darned good one - and obvious really - I just didn't even think of it!. I checked. Guess what - it was set - so I've unset it for 'never dial...' Fabulous point and may well be the final element to an interesting thread. (?)

This is why I just love the forum and the help and ideas that come out.

Chris

Chris the Ancient 11:02 03 Mar 2004

...for five minutes on the way past.

Stuartli - hopefully, stopping the clock synchronisation has cure the automatic update. I've been through everything with a fine tooth comb and got all the 'regulars'.

However, your second point about 'always dial...' is a darned good one - and obvious really - I just didn't even think of it!. I checked. Guess what - it was set - so I've unset it for 'never dial...' Fabulous point and may well be the final element to an interesting thread. (?)

This is why I just love the forum and the help and ideas that come out.

Chris

spikeychris 11:50 03 Mar 2004

Quote "Fabulous point and may well be the final element to an interesting thread. (?)"

Still doesn't answer the question. Was going to point out the same but thought you wanted an answer. KOP OUT :o) ;o)

Chris

spikeychris 11:50 03 Mar 2004

Quote "Fabulous point and may well be the final element to an interesting thread. (?)"

Still doesn't answer the question. Was going to point out the same but thought you wanted an answer. KOP OUT :o) ;o)

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?