Perplexing Dial-Up!

Chris the Ancient 17:39 02 Mar 2004

Working on nthell broadbean - normally!

Every so often - usually on boot up, I get a dial up connection window to my 56k provider freeserve. And I can never work out why. So, one morning, I let it connect to see where it would go. But that's all it did - it connected to freeserve and waited!

Searched for anything resembling a dialler... zilch

Run Adaware... zilch

Run Spybot... zilch

Run Cwshredder... you guessed it... zilch.

It's not the end of the world - just perplexing.

Any thoughts out there?

Chris

VoG II 18:56 02 Mar 2004

Do you actually use your 56K modem? If not, why not disable it in Device Manager?

VoG II 18:56 02 Mar 2004

Do you actually use your 56K modem? If not, why not disable it in Device Manager?

spikeychris 19:05 02 Mar 2004

Could do but the mystery would prevail.....

spikeychris 19:05 02 Mar 2004

Could do but the mystery would prevail.....

spikeychris 19:11 02 Mar 2004

Is there any pattern to it? have you checked the startup folder (right click start button and explore, click progs then startup folder) for anything that looks like it could dial up?

Hace you checked the reg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

spikeychris 19:11 02 Mar 2004

Is there any pattern to it? have you checked the startup folder (right click start button and explore, click progs then startup folder) for anything that looks like it could dial up?

Hace you checked the reg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Chris the Ancient 19:13 02 Mar 2004

Yup, thought of that!

But, as we all know, nthell are not the most reliable. So once in a while (and to keep the account at freeserve active) I descend to using the modem. Y-a-a-a-a-w-n as I wait for a little email to download. Having the modem backup has been useful a couple of times.

Chris...

Not giving up already?

BTW... I'm not ignoring everyone, occasional slow responses from me are due to thing called work! I'm trying to do about a squillion things tonight!

Chris

Chris the Ancient 19:13 02 Mar 2004

Yup, thought of that!

But, as we all know, nthell are not the most reliable. So once in a while (and to keep the account at freeserve active) I descend to using the modem. Y-a-a-a-a-w-n as I wait for a little email to download. Having the modem backup has been useful a couple of times.

Chris...

Not giving up already?

BTW... I'm not ignoring everyone, occasional slow responses from me are due to thing called work! I'm trying to do about a squillion things tonight!

Chris

Chris the Ancient 19:14 02 Mar 2004

Simulataneous replies!

Just checking, Chris

Chris

Chris the Ancient 19:14 02 Mar 2004

Simulataneous replies!

Just checking, Chris

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?