Perplexing Dial-Up!

Chris the Ancient 17:39 02 Mar 2004

Working on nthell broadbean - normally!

Every so often - usually on boot up, I get a dial up connection window to my 56k provider freeserve. And I can never work out why. So, one morning, I let it connect to see where it would go. But that's all it did - it connected to freeserve and waited!

Searched for anything resembling a dialler... zilch

Run Adaware... zilch

Run Spybot... zilch

Run Cwshredder... you guessed it... zilch.

It's not the end of the world - just perplexing.

Any thoughts out there?

Chris

MichelleC 17:45 02 Mar 2004

I think it's probably spyware trying to dial out (I had it even on b/b). When I did the latest update on Adaware on Mon it cleared out 22 trojans (usually 2 or 3) and it doesn't happen now.

MichelleC 17:45 02 Mar 2004

I think it's probably spyware trying to dial out (I had it even on b/b). When I did the latest update on Adaware on Mon it cleared out 22 trojans (usually 2 or 3) and it doesn't happen now.

Chris the Ancient 18:02 02 Mar 2004

Hi MichelleC

Tried it! Been there, done that etc...

All my 'tweakers' are always up to date and I've had that just after full 'sweeps'.

It happened again this morning, so I did another full 'sweep' after. Zilch!

It says it's dialling freeserve, but...

Thinks... Any way I can check what number has been dialled?

Chris

Chris the Ancient 18:02 02 Mar 2004

Hi MichelleC

Tried it! Been there, done that etc...

All my 'tweakers' are always up to date and I've had that just after full 'sweeps'.

It happened again this morning, so I did another full 'sweep' after. Zilch!

It says it's dialling freeserve, but...

Thinks... Any way I can check what number has been dialled?

Chris

spikeychris 18:25 02 Mar 2004

Is there an update that Windows thinks it needs?

Quote "Any way I can check what number has been dialled?"...yeah wait for the 2 grand phone bill to drop though the letterbox :o)

Look for Modemlog.txt, it should have the info...been a while though since I've used a modem.

click here

Just thought, in msconfig, is there a reference to Lexmark?

spikeychris 18:25 02 Mar 2004

Is there an update that Windows thinks it needs?

Quote "Any way I can check what number has been dialled?"...yeah wait for the 2 grand phone bill to drop though the letterbox :o)

Look for Modemlog.txt, it should have the info...been a while though since I've used a modem.

click here

Just thought, in msconfig, is there a reference to Lexmark?

Chris the Ancient 18:46 02 Mar 2004

Not ignoring you! Researching what you've said. I wish I was as clever!

Like you, using a modem is not on my list of frequent activities! But, I managed to plough my way through to find the log that your link refers me to. Cor! What a lot of (to me) meaningless things in that log. I couldn't find any file called modemlog.txt as such, though.

But, I did find and confirm that my freeserve dial-up account is the one replying, so that should keep my bills down!

However, I couldn't see if that log gives me a concept of what initiates the action. I don't speak hex!

As far as I know, But I can't remember how I disabled it (thinks... do that check next - if I can), I don't think Windows should be looking for updates. If that was starting the DUN, wouldn't that connect to M$? As it is, the DUN connects me to freeserve and just leaves my sitting there looking at my default page (Blank).

No, I don't have a lexmark thingy in msconfig.

Plan B?

Chris

Chris the Ancient 18:46 02 Mar 2004

Not ignoring you! Researching what you've said. I wish I was as clever!

Like you, using a modem is not on my list of frequent activities! But, I managed to plough my way through to find the log that your link refers me to. Cor! What a lot of (to me) meaningless things in that log. I couldn't find any file called modemlog.txt as such, though.

But, I did find and confirm that my freeserve dial-up account is the one replying, so that should keep my bills down!

However, I couldn't see if that log gives me a concept of what initiates the action. I don't speak hex!

As far as I know, But I can't remember how I disabled it (thinks... do that check next - if I can), I don't think Windows should be looking for updates. If that was starting the DUN, wouldn't that connect to M$? As it is, the DUN connects me to freeserve and just leaves my sitting there looking at my default page (Blank).

No, I don't have a lexmark thingy in msconfig.

Plan B?

Chris

Chris the Ancient 18:53 02 Mar 2004

Automatic updates are off in Windows.

Chris the Ancient 18:53 02 Mar 2004

Automatic updates are off in Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?