permanently deleting winxp registry folders

jmckba 19:09 30 Dec 2006

After backing up my registry I used regedit and discovered several history folders and domains folders that contained lists of thousands of visited websites. I deleted each of these folders and my winxp system still runs fine. However, I noticed on another day that these folders and their contents had again reappeared within the registry. Can you please tell me how to permanently remove these history and domains files?

recap 19:52 30 Dec 2006

D:\Documents and Settings\user1>reg delete /?

Console Registry Tool for Windows - version 3.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2001. All rights reserved

REG DELETE KeyName [/v ValueName | /ve | /va] /f]

KeyName [\\Machine\]FullKey
Machine Name of remote machine - omitting defaults to the current machine
Only HKLM and HKU are available on remote machines
FullKey ROOTKEY\SubKey
ROOTKEY [ HKLM | HKCU | HKCR | HKU | HKCC ]
SubKey The full name of a registry key under the selected ROOTKEY
ValueName The value name, under the selected Key, to delete When omitted, all subkeys and values under the Key are deleted
/ve delete the value of empty value name <no name>
/va delete all values under this key
/f Forces the deletion without propmt

Examples:

REG DELETE HKLM\Software\MyCo\MyApp\Timeout
Deletes the registry key Timeout and its all subkeys and values

REG DELETE \\ZODIAC\HKLM\Software\MyCo /v MTU
Deletes the registry value MTU under MyCo on ZODIAC

recap 19:55 30 Dec 2006

Sorry jmckba, didn't mean to enter that without the following:

You can get help as above if you type in reg /? in a command prompt. I hope this is of some help to you?

Microsoft have a number of articles on editing the registry one of which you can see if you click here

postie24 20:23 30 Dec 2006

Use this click here

It will clean up your registry for you.Run it each day before you shut down pc

Postie24

jmckba 20:26 30 Dec 2006

Thanks for previous reponses to this problem. My difficulty is that regedit does delete the unwanted folders and files but they simply reappear a few restarts later. Does winxp store these urls elswhere and replace them in the registry at a new startup or does xp keep the last five good registry backups and simply use these. There must be a way of permanently deleteing all copies of these unwanted files.

Stuartli 21:36 30 Dec 2006

>>does xp keep the last five good registry backups and simply use these>>

You are thinking of Windows 98 and 98SE, which had a default figure of five - it could be changed using MAXBACKUPs to whatever was required.

XP uses System Restore and the number of backups depends on the amount of hard drive space allocated.

Default is 12 per cent, set when hard drive capacities were very much smaller than today's three-figure drives. I have mine set at four or five per cent on a 60GB drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?