i have and intolerance of strong perfumes
which can give me hay fever like symptoms

when i opened the case it evedent that it needed
cleaning mostly the fans and heat sinks which i did
but there is still some smell coming out of it
when its running
can any one help

User-312386 16:07 03 Jan 2010

When i go round to fix friends computers and they smoke, there inside of the PC smells like an ashtray! One friend gave me a computer and he smoked like a trooper, so you can imagine the smell! What i did was removed everything, including the motherboard and cleaned everything with a paintbrush to get the surface dust off. I then hoovered the inside, removed the power supply and hoovered that. When everything was out i then ran a damp cloth inside and out, waited for it to air then put everything back

Forum Editor 16:12 03 Jan 2010

for a week. The smell will disappear.

Graphicool1 16:23 03 Jan 2010

Stand a small open container of Bicarb of Soda inside the PC. It will absorb any smells.

sonicdj 16:25 03 Jan 2010

thank you guys for the advise

yes i can rember a pc i fixed years ago that blonged to a smoker once the cpu fan looked like it had a lump of brown fudge jamed in it which had give up spining mmmmm.... nice

Input Overload 16:45 03 Jan 2010

it could be the aftershave my son got me when he went to turkey, it is a bit strong.

Input Overload 16:48 03 Jan 2010

It's about time PC's were sealed boxes with either water or some fluid going to a large heat sink outside the PC as I hate cleaning the things out.

You run the risk of damaging something each time you clean the heat-sink matrix etc. The amount of air that flows through a PC in a day is enormous. I did work it out once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?