i have and intolerance of strong perfumes
which can give me hay fever like symptoms

when i opened the case it evedent that it needed
cleaning mostly the fans and heat sinks which i did
but there is still some smell coming out of it
when its running
can any one help

User-312386 16:07 03 Jan 2010

When i go round to fix friends computers and they smoke, there inside of the PC smells like an ashtray! One friend gave me a computer and he smoked like a trooper, so you can imagine the smell! What i did was removed everything, including the motherboard and cleaned everything with a paintbrush to get the surface dust off. I then hoovered the inside, removed the power supply and hoovered that. When everything was out i then ran a damp cloth inside and out, waited for it to air then put everything back

Forum Editor 16:12 03 Jan 2010

for a week. The smell will disappear.

Graphicool1 16:23 03 Jan 2010

Stand a small open container of Bicarb of Soda inside the PC. It will absorb any smells.

sonicdj 16:25 03 Jan 2010

thank you guys for the advise

yes i can rember a pc i fixed years ago that blonged to a smoker once the cpu fan looked like it had a lump of brown fudge jamed in it which had give up spining mmmmm.... nice

Input Overload 16:45 03 Jan 2010

it could be the aftershave my son got me when he went to turkey, it is a bit strong.

Input Overload 16:48 03 Jan 2010

It's about time PC's were sealed boxes with either water or some fluid going to a large heat sink outside the PC as I hate cleaning the things out.

You run the risk of damaging something each time you clean the heat-sink matrix etc. The amount of air that flows through a PC in a day is enormous. I did work it out once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017