perfect disk !

phoenix42 19:12 08 Sep 2008

Your help please.After doing a system restore , I now find that there appears on the desktop a 'panel'that says 'Perfect Disk' It starts to load,and after a minute or so tells me,"The feature you are trying to use,is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available, insert the 'Perfect Disk' and click O.K " ..When I try to remove from desktop I then get "ERROR 1706, no valid source could be found for product 'Perfect Disk'-- the Windows installer cannot continue "
I have to confess I'm baffled, never seen this one before. Do hope someone can help.. Many thanks

lotvic 19:21 08 Sep 2008

PerfectDisk is a Windows defragmentation utility published by Raxco Software click here

It would seem that on the date of the Restore you have used PerfectDisk was partially installed then the install abandoned. Maybe you could try a different Restore date.

chub_tor 19:26 08 Sep 2008

PerfectDisk (without the space) is a disc defragmentation programme made by Raxco click here Is it possible that this was installed on your machine at the time of the System Restore and now the PC is trying to access it on Start Up at a date after it has been removed?

if you go to Run and msconfig, Start Up tab, you are likely to find that a programme called PerfectDisk or Raxco Software has a tick by it. Just untick it, click on OK, reboot and your message should go away.

phoenix42 20:01 09 Sep 2008

Lotvic, and to you too chub_tor; my apologies for the delay in replying, been sweeping up any remaining hair !! Seriously, Many thanks for the Perfectdisk info,since that guide ,now I know just what it is,but for the life of me I cannot remember if I actually downloaded or partially downloaded or not (senility creeping in !)I spent heaven knows how long going through various files ,etc,My Computer,Search, Add Remove progs, but each time I thought I had 'got rid', there it was again.. This P.M my adult grandson,visited, he did all the things I had tried, then loaded a prog called 'Eraser' After another 10 minutes the PerfectDisk nuisance finally disappeared after another re-boot ..Have put the 'lump hammer' back in the tool shed! Again many thanks to you both ,for putting me on the right track .. best wishes Phoenix42

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?