People can not open word attachments I e-mail

Lossy 08:47 14 Oct 2009

I recently bought a new Acer laptop with Microsoft Office Word 2007. Whenever I e-mail people and attach a document it comes through encoded as gobble de gook!

Is there something in the settings that needs changing?

I am frustrated as this is affecting my work and I don't have a clue how to rectify it!

Would really appreciate any help.

Graphicool1 09:10 14 Oct 2009

Hi
Have the people you are emailing to got 'Microsoft Word'? Also, are you using 'Outlook Express'. I was having a similar problem, but from the other side of the coin. People were sending me 'Word' documents and others were sending emails using 'Outlook'. I don't use either! These are the things you need to know before making any alterations to your PC.

It is possible for the recipient of 'Word' documents to download and install 'Word Reader' but that is if they want to? If you are using 'Outlook' and the recipients are using a different email client, then their email client has to be set up to accept emails from 'Outlook'.

Eric10 09:13 14 Oct 2009

Word 2007 saves in a new format so I suspect that the recipients of your word documents use an earlier version of Word. If this is the case then the easiest way is for you to Save as, Word 97-2003 Document.

interzone55 09:15 14 Oct 2009

Try saving word files as DOC files rather than DOCX, if the recipient only has Word 2003 or older, and hasn't installed the Office 2007 compatibility pack they won't be able to DOCX files as they use a proprietary compressed XML format.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?