Pentium M vs. P4

hellobuddy 14:11 09 Feb 2004

Pentium m has had a lot of hype and has a prime place in the new centrino technology, bu I don't get it , why would Dell put a 1.7ghz M chip in its top of the range gaming laptop. There must be more than meets the eye. Why is pentium M so good?
How can it compare with a 3.2 P4 chip?

xplogos 14:21 09 Feb 2004

"1MB power managed L2 cache increasing system performance" - these processors have a bigger l2 cache which makes them faster than their clock speeds would indicate.

I've used a few notebooks with Pentium M's and they all seem to compare favourably with the p4's. The other good point with these is that they have a low power consumption so your battery lasts loads longer.

For more detail click here&

and click on the pentium M option.

JamesB

JerryJay 14:34 09 Feb 2004

I have a Pentium M 1.5GHz laptop which outperform a desktop with AMD XP2400+ on CPU score. The big L2 cache really make big difference. P-M laptop normally lighter than P4 machine becuase P-M generate less heat so need small cooling system. Battery on P-M last longer because P-M consumer less power. If you really want a portable and have money, go for top of range P-M. If you want a "transportable" laptop and pay less, go for a P4 machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?