PENTIUM D OLD HAT ?

OCTCORE 12:33 15 Sep 2009

Hello there,

I built a new PC in December with some cheap bits off a mate. Pentium D(3ghz dual core) 2 gig of 667 ram on an Asock mobo with a 256 mb graphics card.

After fresh install of XPHE I was a little unimpressed after my old PC being an AMD 2ghz 64(running 32 bit) with a gig of ram.

Although the new PC will manage more stuff at the same time I have always thought that I should have stuck with my old PC a bit longer. What I don't want to do is buy a new quad core and feel short changed again. I keep a very clean system drive with very litle junk software. Is the Pentium D old hat ?

Quiet Life 15:52 15 Sep 2009

Yes it would be considered old hat. However it should outrun an AMD 2ghz. Asock mobos are cheap entry level and that can affect things a lot.
I have had a D 3ghz for over three years and for speed in processing it is slower than a 1.8 core 2 duo but for many operations it does seem faster.
So far I have not thought to change as it runs XP and W7 well.I also have 2gb ram.

OCTCORE 16:34 15 Sep 2009

Interesting, I have wonderd if changing to a sata2 drive would make booting a bit quicker, I have sata1 at the moment. By the end of the year win7 will be the standard offerd with new PC's, (I think) I am not sure if it is worth biulding home PC's anymore. Also are PC world pc's to be avoided ? My Dad had one, a Compaq/HP and has been no bother at all. I have used a Dell at work and I have to say it's the quickest Pc I have ever used. I don't do alot of demanding computing mainly surfing and moving files around, but no one wants a slow PC. When I last looked at Overclockers.com there seemed to be a lot less 'bundled' kit CPU,MOBO,RAM and what there is seems very expensive,in relation to what you pay for a biult PC with screen and OS ? Many thanks for all input.

Technotiger 17:23 15 Sep 2009

Hmm, so what exactly is the problem?

Or, put another way - shouldn't this be in Speakers' Corner, rather than in the Helproom!

interzone55 17:29 15 Sep 2009

The Pentium D isn't dual core. In fact some of these didn't even employ hyperthreading - have you checked in task manager to see how many CPUs show.

I don't think you'll see any difference between Sata I & Sata II. The bandwidth of SATA 1 far exceeds the rate that a single drive can be read.

If you invest in a modern motherboard & quad core chip you'll see a vast improvement...

Quiet Life 17:40 15 Sep 2009

Pentium D is two processors on a single core.

OCTCORE 18:41 15 Sep 2009

Hello again, thanks for input.

The hardware shows 2 cpu's, anyway from what your all saying a quad core would be an improvment. Thats what I wanted to know. Great resolved. Great forum, I don't come here that often but when I do I always get consise info. Ta v much.

Technotiger 18:45 15 Sep 2009

With apologies for my unhelpful post!

Glad you are sorted anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?