Pentium core duo E6600 and Media Center

the old man 20:27 29 Jan 2007

I have taken advice from members on an upgrade package to an E6600 bundle and Win Media Centre 2005 (for the Vista upgrade coupon). I was going to install Win Media and wait for as long as possible to get the Vista upgrade, 31/03/07, so that some of the bugs may have been ironed out and updates have been made available from MS. I have now read in various places, most significantly on Dell website, that there is a compatability issue between the E6600 and Win Media centre. Could members give me some advice as I have ordered Media for £74 with upgrade to Vista costing additional £8. The money is not the problem it is just that I wanted to get the upgrade up and running tomorrow when it arrives. Have some doubts about doing it now.

ed-0 20:38 29 Jan 2007

Hi.

That I think was resolved with the patch in the new media centre edition.

The E6600 and media centre are eing shipped by some of the big box shifters. A quick google brought these up.click here click here
click here

Hp, Dell and misco.

I think you will find that it installs fine.:-)

the old man 20:51 29 Jan 2007

What got me curious was playing around with a system on Dell and Customising it. I changed the processor from an E6300 to the E6600 'normal' and that message of incompatability came up. It suggested that I change the processor to the 'Viiv', think that how it spelt, version of the E6600 to have it work with Media centre. Hence the slight doubt.
Good evening by the way, new system tomorrow, all excited, hope you and Totally braindead have got it right in recommendations. :-) Cant wait to get the wee beastie up and running. All benchmarks done on old system to check against the new one. Expecting some hefty numbers when new benchmarks are done. Well going from an athlon xp 2000+ they better had. haha.

ed-0 21:02 29 Jan 2007

Dell do throw these spanners in the works, sometimes. As you can see the " Dell XPS 700 Ultimate Gamer Core Duo E6600 2.4 GHZ 256MB 7900 GS Video XP Media Center 1 Year Dell Warranty " is the ultimate choice from dell as a gamers PC.

I think you may be surprised at the speed of the new beastie;-)

Especially when you multi-task.

Good luck with the build tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?