pentium 3 pc crashes running dvd

howard64 17:38 28 Oct 2009

I have been asked to have a look at a pentium 3 pc which crashes when asked to run a dvd. It is a p3 650MHz with 384 MB of ram and built in video card to the mobo. I have done a clean install of xp pro sp3. Power DVD 8 is installed. When a dvd is put in the drive it opens fine but when you click on play the pc is rebooted. Is it just not capable of running a dvd with this spec or am I doing something wrong? Any ideas? The pc seems fine with all other jobs and connects to the net with no trouble and downloads fine.

Seeing that the CPU is only clocked at 650MHz it is not able to run a DVD. The min. is 800MHz. Does XP run smoothly. Your best bet is to buy a new Win 7 computer. I can give you advice on what to look out for!

woodchip 18:20 28 Oct 2009

Its not the P3 thats the problem, You must have a problem elsewhere, with may be corrupt operating system files, or graphics needs the driver updating for the graphics card

howard64 18:31 28 Oct 2009

thanks woodchip I will go to the msi site and download the drivers.

howard64 15:13 29 Oct 2009

I have been onto the msi site but cannot find any drivers for this mobo without buying a driver utility at about 30$. I thought manufacturers drivers were a free download.

howard64 15:17 29 Oct 2009

If I try to use the live update this crashes the pc. This pc is heading for the scrapheap I think.

woodchip 15:18 29 Oct 2009

As far as I know they are, if you need a Utility, I think you are on the wrong Site.

may be this is where you should be click here

Orange Download near bottom

howard64 17:50 29 Oct 2009

thanks again woodchip I have downloaded and installed that driver to be told that it is the current one which is installed. As you suggest it is the graphics driver possibly at fault i will put in a agp card that I have and see if it makes a difference. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?