Pen drive won't install on XP SP2

kinger 23:43 15 Feb 2006

I own a number of Pendrives of varying makes and all work fine on any PC I use them on.

However,a work collegue with a laptop computer running Windows XP just won't allow it to install.

I tried several pendrives in the Usb slots but, although it recognises that they've been plugged in, they all fail to install as the drivers aren't available.

XP normally recognises them immediately and one can start using them.

The drivers on the discs that came with the pendrives only have Win 98 drivers on them.

I have updated the computer with the very latest updates but still it won't accept USB pendrives.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eastender 00:00 16 Feb 2006

In the 'Control Panel' open 'Administrative Tools' open 'Computer Management' then under storage open 'Disk Management' is the pen (removable) shown there, if so does it need formatting?

Eastender 00:04 16 Feb 2006

Have a look at the Geek click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 00:05 16 Feb 2006

Is the plug and play service set at disabled, if so set to auto.

kinger 16:53 16 Feb 2006

Eastender, the drives work perfectly on all other computers but not the one in question.

It shows up in 'unknown devices' but not anywhere else.

Hertz Van Rentyl, Plug and play is on.

I am having another look at the problem now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:34 16 Feb 2006

Uninstall ALL the USB root hubs.

reboot the PC with the pen drive plugged in (non bootable files on drive) and XP should find and install new hardware.

All the USB root hubs will reappear and your drive should appear.

kinger 21:43 16 Feb 2006

I did that but now have no root hub at all showing in device manager.

There are four 'unknown devices' showing (black exclamation mark with yellow background) but it won't install anything as it states that Windows can't find the files necessary to install them.

I have several Intel USB host controllers but the generic USB hubs have disappeard and will not return no matter how often I reboot.

Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 16 Feb 2006

So do you have 4 usb devices plugged in?

kinger 22:00 16 Feb 2006

No, nothing currently.

kinger 22:06 16 Feb 2006

When I plug anything in now it's not even recognised.

It was at first but just couldn't install.

Since removing the root hubs I seem to have another problem.

kinger 22:23 16 Feb 2006

I have uninstalled the aforementioned and switched off PC.

I inserted the pendrive and allowed Windows to find it on rebooting.

It now searches for 'Universal Serial Bus Controller' files when trying to install the system (three sockets on side of Laptop) but can't find it.

Even when selecting to search the Internet, it can't find the files. I though XP already had them on the drive somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?