pen drive

dan12 10:03 27 Mar 2006

my pc only has one usb connection at the rear of the tower where my bt connection goes into.

So today i got myself a four port belkin usb hub

I also got a card reader and a usb 2.0keyring type storage device 256mb digo lite

closed down pc, set hub up no problem, connected bt usb lead into hub working fine and connection ok.

Am having problems with the card reader and disgo lite pen drive. it tells me it has detected new hardware and windows is installing software for it but it just hangs on that message window and doesn't move on and all I can do is cntrl alt del, it locks all my desktop icons up.

Have tried by passing usb hub and putting it direct intousb at rear of tower, but no joy.

have contacted disgo lite and they helped by pointing to some drivers I needed, so installed them as instructed by them, and still have the same problem.
my only work around it seems is putting pen drive into hub before bootup and then pen drive is recognized and am able to use it and works ok.
but would be nice to plug it in as and when i need it when pc is on

many thanks

dan12 10:05 27 Mar 2006

I forgot to mention my system is windows me.

Audeal 12:19 27 Mar 2006

Why not install a USB pci card, That should do the job far better then a hub. click here

Audeal 12:21 27 Mar 2006

Just type in USB Card in the search box.

recap 12:48 27 Mar 2006

Try placing your USB devices in different ports on the hub.

dan12 13:19 27 Mar 2006

many Thanks I may have to try those options,
have tried all ports in the hub and also direct to the only usb port at rear of tower. have just used them on my son's pc so I know the pen drive and the card reader work on his xp home.
cheers

recap 13:29 27 Mar 2006

I don't know whether this click here is of any relevance to your particular problem dan12?

dan12 13:37 27 Mar 2006

Thanks recap
Thanks for link,
have just enabled usb legacy support in the bios but no joy so it may be that the work around as mentioned is to boot up with usb device in hub\ rear of tower.
thanks for responces
dan

Stuartli 14:01 27 Mar 2006

If may be worth reading the information under the cross head Alternatives at:

click here

dan12 17:22 27 Mar 2006

Thanks stuartli,
will have a read through.
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?