peculiar Acer laptop keyboard problem

xtsg 09:47 25 Jun 2010

Hi there,

There's a peculiar problem with my Acer laptop keyboard in that:

- when I press return after typing a website address into Firefox, rather than trigger the website to appear, the cursor jumps to the google search box and the characters ":q3" appear in the search box
- when I press return to submit information via a text box on a web page, rather than submit the information, the focus shifts to another item on the page much as it would if I had pressed Tab, to get round this I have to press Shift + Return
- to get a carriage return for a new line in Word I have to press Shift + Return, a new line is then created but the characters "IHYE" appear (or "ihye" if Caps Lock is on), which I then have to delete
- when I press the equals sign in Excel the character "`" appears in the cell and the Save As dialog box appears

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong and how I can correct it please ?

gengiscant 10:23 25 Jun 2010

This will probably have no relevance, but it came up with another Acer laptop I am repairing. The Acer Launch Manager can cause keyboard problems, you do not say what OS you are using, it might be worth a look.

xtsg 08:59 14 Jul 2010

Apologies for the delay in replying gengiscant, just got back from hols, but many thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try.

woodchip 09:58 14 Jul 2010

Or it could be Malaware

xtsg 10:01 14 Jul 2010

Thanks too woodchip, but I've run all the tests for malware etc. and all's good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?