PDF writer

daisy2bell 11:11 12 Sep 2006

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but here goes (FE delete this if it contravenes forum policy)

I need a PDF writer, that will allow me to set a date for the file to self destruct, or to self destruct after a pre determined amount of prints.

I am asking if anyone has one, and doesn't need it any more and would be willing to sell it to me. I do not want pirate copies, only an original please.
Thanks

ArrGee 12:28 12 Sep 2006

Not that I have it, but is this the kind of thing you are looking for?
click here

ArrGee 12:39 12 Sep 2006

Have a look at the specs on this free application:
click here

€dstowe 14:17 12 Sep 2006

I don't see the point of this.

Anyone who want to do so can over-ride any self-destruct message or mechanism quite easily so you may as well not even try.

One way to over-ride is to convert the file to another format - even if you have to print it out and then scan as a graphic it has overcome any protection that you have tried to put on it.

ArrGee 15:25 12 Sep 2006

Absolutely correct, however you have to be a wee bit 'tech-savy' to perform what you have stated. This is very much unlike the vast majority of subscribers to my own monthly PDF based publication. If even up to 10% of my 3000 subscribers were savy enough to do this, it would not matter.

That's probably the reason why 'FileOpen' charges nearly £1,500 for just a one year licence.

€dstowe 16:56 12 Sep 2006

OK, I accept that but, by the same thought string, people who wouldn't want to copy/read/download the file after a certain time wouldn't bother anyway. Those that did would find the means to get round the problem - and that is easy, I've outlined one method already.

daisy2bell 20:15 12 Sep 2006

Thanks guys.
ArrGee, I have gone for the PDF Ownerguard. I'll play around a bit and see if its what I need.
Judging their writeup, it seems to do what I would want from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017