Pdf won`t open in IE6

Swiscot 20:42 16 Apr 2004

I want to open a pdf document from a web site and all I get is the little icon in the top left corner, looks like a square,circle and triangle.
I am running XP SP1 with HK Pop-up Killer and Zone Alarm running.
Can anyone tell me if this is a problem related to the programmes that are running or could it be that Java is disabled? Thanks, Jim

Diodorus Siculus 20:45 16 Apr 2004

Do you have Acrobat Reader installed? If not, install it - even if you do, it may be worth uninstalling and doing a reinstall.

Swiscot 21:05 16 Apr 2004

Hi Diodorus
Yep, Ive got Acrobat 5.0 installed. Its getting late here so I will have a go at de-installing it tomorrow and see how far I get when I re-install it.
Thanks anyway
Jim

brambles 21:23 16 Apr 2004

I had this problem with another firewall. suggest you look at Zone Alarm in detail & you should have a list of Programmes authorised to access the Internet. Make sure Adobe Acrobat is one of them. The latest version of AA is Version 6 recommend you download this as well.

Brambles

GaT7 21:31 16 Apr 2004

If you buy/subscribe to any PC mags (with disks) they usually will have the latest version 6 or you can d'load it from here -click here. As Diodorus Siculus says an uninstall/reinstall will usually do the trick. If it still doesn't work then brambles' suggestion should do.

PS - If you go down the d'load route - it's a large download so if you don't have broadband you can use a free download manager - click here or click here.

temp003 04:55 17 Apr 2004

Also, check a setting in Acrobat Reader 5. Close IE, open Acrobat Reader, click Edit, Preferences, General, in the Options section, check that the box for Display PDF in browser is ticked. Click OK. Exit Reader. Try IE again.

Swiscot 09:22 17 Apr 2004

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I installed Acrobat reader 6 Pro from the PC Advisor-DVD I had on my desk, fiddled with Zone Alarm and "Presto" called up the website and downloaded the Pdf no bother!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?