pdf problems

Astrid 09:21 04 May 2009

My operating system is Windows XP SP3, and until a few days ago I had no problem reading a pdf file with Adobe reader. Now, whenever I try to read one my computer struggles for a while, fails to download and then restarts. I know it isn't the fault of the sender of the file as even those read some time ago successfully now do the same. Is this a problem easily solved?

QuizMan 09:37 04 May 2009

I do not know what is causing your problem, but try another PDF reader. Foxit is excellent & far superior to Adobe Reader because it is so much quicker. click here

Technotiger 09:51 04 May 2009

I had a similar problem yesterday reading PDF which normally was straightforward, I was advised to use ...

click here

I did, and was then able to read the PDF - don't ask me how this works, but it does, or it did for me. So worth a try I reckon.

DieSse 10:10 04 May 2009

Yours was an entirely different situation - the file was a compressed file, not a pdf - that's why you needed the decompressor.

DieSse 10:11 04 May 2009

You could try uninstalling your current pdf program, then downloading and installing the latest version from the Adobe site.

Astrid 10:42 04 May 2009

I've tried to uninstall Adobe Reader but whenever the uninstallation gets to a certain point (about 6 seconds from completion) my computer restarts. I'm about to try Foxit, if for no other reason than desperation. I use Kaspersky Internet Security and am certain there's no virus on my system. I've removed stray Adobe files manually, also. It does appear that my system is a little destabilized by all the different methods I'm using.

Technotiger 10:51 04 May 2009

Hi, the file I was having trouble with was a PDF file (Presario Maintenance and Service Guide), it was not in Zipped format!

Sea Urchin advised me to try 7Zip, he could not explain it either, but it worked and I was able to read the PDF file with my PDF Converter 4Pro.

Astrid 10:57 04 May 2009

I downloaded Foxit and can now read the PDF files ok. Thank you for the advice. However, I still wonder what went wrong with Adobe and if I've really fixed the situation of restarting. Maybe it doesn't matter any more?

Sea Urchin 11:00 04 May 2009

The file TT downloaded yesterday was a .rar file which as DieSse says is a compressed file

click here

Using 7zip (or winrar etc) unzipped it to its original PDF form when it could be opened by a PDF reader.

Sea Urchin 11:01 04 May 2009

The reason I said it was odd was that the site claimed a PDF file was being downloaded when in fact it turned out to be a compressed PDF file.

Technotiger 11:12 04 May 2009

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it was the PDF label that confused me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?