PDF or what?

donaldcro 21:57 11 Oct 2008

I have been doing a mail shot, by personally sending emails individually to selected people who might be interested in what I have to market. However, I also enclose a pdf for people to read. Some people have replied saying that the pdf was automatically removed because it may have had a virus, and others have told me that they cannot open the pdf unless it is sent in a different format. Can someone advise what format it should be sent in, so that these problems do not occur. I want recipients to receive the whole email intact, including any attachment.
Donald.

woodchip 22:04 11 Oct 2008

The Problems they are having is not your making, there e-mail server does not like attachments so it kicks them out. Plus they will also need a PDF reader installed to read them. PDF is a Format, as far as I know there is only one kind

woodchip 22:05 11 Oct 2008

What you are doing can also be classed as illegal as it Spamming

donaldcro 22:59 11 Oct 2008

Thanks for your advice woodchip, but I have to tell you that I am not spamming. I do not use a mailing list, but contact each person on an individual basis. Its much more time consuming that sending of a mail shot by email, as its personal to each one. I am getting positive responses as a result because its not a mail shot in the direct mail sense of the word. I hope that clarifies the situation for you.

DieSse 00:21 12 Oct 2008

PDF is the best format for sending out attachments. There is no reason for anyone to remove pdfs at the server, as they are a recognised, standardised method of interchanging data.

Any ISP removing pdf file attachments should be severely castigated. Though general warnings about attachments of any kind is acceptable and routinely applied be Hotmail and probably others.

Everyone "should" have free pdf reader installed, as so much documentation these days is in pdf format that it's just silly not to have a reader.

You could put a link to a reader in the text of your email, along with a note suggesting that it may be downloaded free. You could also put a note in the email to say the attachment has been scanned with a reputable AV program before sending.

OR - as an alternative you could put the information on a website and invite your prospects to read it.

OR, as another alternative, you could put your information into the body of the email.

DieSse 00:26 12 Oct 2008

As amplification - Hotmail, if it cannot identify the sender of an email (ie the sender is not in the recipients address book, or on a permitted list) - will block ALL attachments on a "just in case" basis.

It then invites the recipient to allow the attachment(s) or not.

You cannot get around this with any attachment, only the recipient can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?