PDF files to download

RussG 18:01 29 Feb 2004

Hi , I have some PDF files that I want to make available for download but I am not sure how to go about it. Any advice would be gratefully receieved.

Thanks
Russ

Tell us a little more about the situation, its not clear whether you have a website or if you are just having difficulty creating the link.

RussG 19:08 29 Feb 2004

Hello Horiz5, I am currently building my site and have PWS installed for testing. How does the link work?

Thanks
Russ

Jester2K 19:42 29 Feb 2004

Create a folder in your web space and upload the PDF files to that folder.

The on the download page add a link to the files like http:\\www. mywebsite .com \ PDFFiles \ PDF01.pdf

When a user clicks on the link it'll download the file.

Now the default action for PDF files is for them to open in the browser so you'll have to tell people to right click the link and select Save Target As.. in order to download the files instead of opening them.

Taran 19:43 29 Feb 2004

Create a folder in your web root folder and name it something relevant, like downloads.

Put the PDF files into that folder then create the hyperlinks to them on your download page along the lines of:

<

a href="downloads/file_name.pdf">Download PDF File

</a>

I've put a couple of hard returns in there to space out the code to [hopefully] stop it from turning into a blue click here link.

The part of the code that reads:

href="downloads/file_name.pdf"

is the address of the file in the web root folder. In this case, the file is called file_name.pdf and it lives in a folder in the web root called downloads. Note that there are no capital letters or word spaces in there. Try to keep all of your files and folders lower case and instead of using spaces between words, use an underscore, like_this.

It would help to know the software you are using to create the site since hyperlinking differs from one program to another, but there is nothing stopping you from writing your own based on the above. Just alter the link to point to your own named files and change the bit that reads Download PDF File to something more meaningful to your situation.

RussG 19:47 29 Feb 2004

Thanks very much guys, I have this now. I was looking for something complicated.

Cheers
Russ

Taran 19:48 29 Feb 2004

Sorry, I should have refreshed the page prior to posting to avoid duplicating your input.

Jester2K 07:49 01 Mar 2004

Taran - you did a better job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?