PDAs and built in batteries

exdragon 13:22 19 Mar 2004

Hi - I've had a Toshiba e310 pocket pc for about 20 months and recently the built in battery went from a full charge in the morning to totally dead by the evening, without being switched on. I contacted Toshiba, who said it'd be £192 to replace the battery.

Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable time for the battery to last - I'd say it gets less than normal use - and if any other PDAs have batteries which can be replaced by the user, rather than the manufacturer, for less than half of the original cost of the item?

sicknote 13:41 19 Mar 2004

I'm sure you could change your own battery it's just finding who has one as that model is dicontinued i believe.
What is the part No on the battery ????

exdragon 13:46 19 Mar 2004

Sicknote - I don't know what sort of battery it is - I asked in the shop where I bought it, but when the chap took the back off, he took out what he thought was the battery, but it was soldered on to a lead (I'm not convinced it was the right thing, but he reckoned it was!). The book just says it's an advanced lith ion one, but Toshiba said it was not possible to change it myself. I'd assumed I could just replace it like a battery in a mobile or similar device.

sicknote 14:16 19 Mar 2004

Somewhere on those batteries should be some markings,If you can find some it will help !!!!

exdragon 14:34 19 Mar 2004

I've just had another look and the battery doesn't come out, it seems to be attached at the back as well as to the soldered lead. I didn't like to poke about too much! The only number is LAB503759C. Perhaps it's time to upgrade. Do you know if any of these things do have easily replaceable bits?
Thanks.

sicknote 14:43 19 Mar 2004

Hi instructions for install/remove of battery and seems to be available for £27

click here

click here

exdragon 15:13 19 Mar 2004

Sicknote - you're brilliant! Have a drink on me...
Thanks a lot.

exdragon 15:13 19 Mar 2004

Sicknote - you're brilliant! Have a drink on me...
Thanks a lot.

exdragon 15:14 19 Mar 2004

OK, two drinks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?