PDA Outlook & Outlook Express - a difference?

weeve 12:51 23 Aug 2003

Yesterday I bought a PDA - on installation it told me to update to Outlook 2002. I did - I can't send/receive e-mail now. Help?

What is the difference between the 2 versions?

How can I synchronise Address book on the PC with Contacts on the PDA

Help gratefully received!

Pete

xania 20:32 23 Aug 2003

I assuem that you mean that you updated to Outlook 2002 on your PC and that you've lost your connections as a result. You will, therefore, need to set up Outlook afresh to connect to your ISP - their web site should tell you how to do this.

Regreatably, you will probably find that you have also lost ll your stored e-mails and address book, uless you've got these backed up elsewhere.

Webmaster 03:21 24 Aug 2003

You have bought a Pocket PC and this syncs only with Microsoft Outlook and not Microsoft Outlook Express. The 'Address Book' built in to Express/Windows is not used by the PDA and ActiveSync. ActiveSync relies entirely on what is stored in Outlook, and therefore compares your list of contacts with those listed in the 'Contacts' section of Outlook.

I appreciate this could be a bit of a pain for you since, I presume, you have been using Express for your emails. The best solution is to open up Outlook and import all your emails and account information and data into Outlook from Express. File > Import & Export - in Outlook - is how to initiate these kind of jobs.

Outlook is home to all things Pocket PC that are syncable, such as Notes, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks. In this style, it keeps everything together in an attempt to make it more convenient for the end-user.

weeve 18:44 24 Aug 2003

Thanks webmaster. It is annoying that Pocket PC only syncs with Outlook and NOT with Outlook express. But that's life!
Cheers
weeve

wee eddie 20:18 24 Aug 2003

Outlook is a Contacts Management program. e-mail is only a very minor part of it.

Outlook Express is really e-mail only. No diary etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires